Wednesday, February 11, 2009

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 12/02/09

Ghost Town - The 1980s comeback continues with this Ricky Gervais comedy about a man who dies for a brief moment of time and then starts seeing ghosts. Have you seen Chances Are? Yeah... exactly.

He's Just Not That Into You - blah blah blah, I'm seeing this tomorrow. WHATEVER! Don't look at me like that...

My Blood Valentine - I do want to this one, yes. It's 3D, y'all! Although I think it's only showing in 3D at one cinema. ONE. Well, one near me anyway. Only a scarce number of theatres in Australia have 3D capabilities at the moment, which is worrying since there are so many 3D movies coming out this year.

Rachel Getting Married - Isn't it lovely when distributors wait for Oscar nominations to release movies and then they don't do as well as they expected? Yeah. It's great. Australia is finally being deemed worthy enough to see Jonathan Demme's latest, starring Oscar-nominee Anne Hathaway.

DVD Releases for the Week 12/02/09

Swing Vote - Direct-to-DVD for this Kevin Costner political comedy.

War, Inc. - Direct-to-DVD for this John Cusack political comedy.

White Diamond - This documentary that follows Kylie Minogue as she recovers from cancer while performing her Showgirl tour finally gets a DVD release.

TV Screenings for the Week 12/02/09

13/02/09, Bridge On the River Kwai (1957), 7HD, 1.00PM - You know, I have no desire at all to watch this movie even though I really should (it being a Best Picture winner and all).

13/02/09, Mars Attacks (1996), C9, 11.00PM - I have a deep fondness for this movie. I think it's great in general, but it's one of those films that upon seeing it (omg way back in 1996 hah) that I proclaimed as "the best movie ever". Of course, I was a bit overboard in that statement, but I hold it very close to me.

14/02/09, The Way We Were (1973), ABC2, 8.30PM - Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford star in this Oscar-winner from Sydney Pollack. What a teaming of great talent that is, huh? While I've never been particularly fond of Babs' music (outside of Funny Girl and some of her singles) I think she's a great actress and wish she had have acted more during her peak.

14/02/09, Human Nature (2001), SBS, 10.00PM - Michel Gondry and Charlie Kaufman made this before Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I've never seen it.

15/02/09, Ballistic: Ecks Vs Sever (2002), C9, 12.10AM - Perhaps the most ineptly made movie of all time. Yes, far far worse than anything Ed Wood ever threw a cardboard set at.

18/02/09, Festival in Cannes (2001), SBS, 1.00PM - From all reports this Cannes Festival-set comedy isn't good, but could be an interesting watch. It does star Greta Scacchi and Anouk Aimée after all.

2 comments:

Joel said...

There are a couple of other quality dvd releases this week.
Amusement - a direct to DVD horror film.
24: Redemption, the 24 movie that played on TV before going straight to DVD.
The Rebel - a straight to DVD Vietnamese action film
Invisible Target - a straight to DVD HK action film

Seems to be a running theme...

Kamikaze Camel said...

Yeah... I didn't bother with them.