Thursday, February 26, 2009

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 26/02/09

The Combination - New Australian film by actor David Field (Ghosts... of the Civil Dead) that is targeting itself at less arthouse audiences (it's only screening on one Melbourne cinema, the rest are suburban) and more on young people who have abandoned Australian cinema because it's "not about them".

Flash of Genius - I honestly can't believe a movie about the man that invented wiper blades exists. REALLY!

Last Chance Harvey - I am fairly certain that this movie that stars Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson (bless Emma Thompson) will be a huge hit with ladies of "a certain age" down here who tend to make all these adult-skewering films into hits. Ladies in Lavender, anyone?

The Unborn - Needless to say, I think we all know who the creative force behind the new Batman movies really is and it's not David S Goyer.

W. - Oliver Stone neuters himself some more.

DVD Releases for the Week 26/02/09

Body of Lies - Leonardo DiCaprio/Russell Crowe/Ridley Scott misfire.

Burn After Reading - The Coen Brothers' exceptional comedy of idiots.

Finding Amanda - I feel like I've mentioned this movie before... but I wouldn't know why.

Henry Pool Is Here - Luke Wilson's career baffles me. It really does!

Max Payne - Why does this movie exist?

The Women - Apparently a disaster in every regard. Such a shame.

No TV Screenings to list for you this week, although I would like to point out that ABC2 is screening All That Jazz on Saturday night at 8.30. It is the best movie I have ever seen and it'll take a lot to beat for me. I saw an ad for it last night when waiting for Spicks & Specks and, hilariously, they use "All That Jazz" as performed by Catherine Zeta-Jones in Chicago. Oh, there may be confused people in the audience at some point asking "where's the song?!?" Silly people, they would be.

No comments: