Thursday, February 26, 2009

An Inconceivable Truth

I'm very much on the record in my belief that An Inconvenient Truth is an awful awful movie. Didn't learn anything in that movie that I couldn't have gotten off of Wikipedia, and at least that way I wouldn't have wasted $7 on the DVD (a DVD of a freakin' POWERPOINT presentation? Ugh. I'll never get over that movie, I swear).

Nevertheless, I understand that many people thought it was great and, well, good for them, however, if I ever needed further proof that Davis Guggenheim deserved a good year or two in film school before he won an Oscar (an Oscar for directing a freakin' POWERPOINT presentation?) it was this news that he will be directing the Melrose Place pilot episode.

As if the TV execs didn't learn from the complete and utter disaster that was the 90210 reboot, the idea of a Melrose Place for the new decade is just going to confirm this new remaking TV series trend won't last too much longer, I'm sure. Unfortunately, television is in a very-unironic phase right now so I don't see how it will work. Hurray then that the man who turned a freakin' POWERPOINT presentation into such a scintillating movie-watching experience is on the job! It'll go like gangbusters.

8 comments:

adam k. said...

Wow, so you HATED it?? I thought you just thought it was overrated.

Well, a big "pfffft" to you, too, then : P As you know, I really liked that movie. I thought it worked in a general thematic way, about reclaiming one's sense of purpose and self - beyond the simple "global warming is bad" premise.

And I'm glad the song won, too. I'm listening to it right now just to spite you. : )

(no hard feelings... even though you also hate Once)

Anonymous said...

The Inconvenient Truth preaches to the converted and its "facts" have been rebutted many times. It is propaganda for the masses similar to Triumph of the Will. Al Gore uses the same preachy methods as Hitler in order to reap the millions from the unsuspected. I wonder why the documentary does not make mention that Al Gore is on the board of directors of a global company making billions producing global warming solutions? Mmmm.....

Glenn said...

Once I merely dislike, Truth I think is one of the most poorly made movies of the last few years.

But, as I stated at the time, I just don't like being lectured on things I already know and being blamed for things that I can't fix when Al Gore himself is shown in scenes flying around and around and around the world.

Glenn said...

Okay, Anon replied a mere minute before me so I didn't see it. While I wouldn't go around comparing Al Gore to Hitler (and to compare Davis Guggenheim to Leni Reifenstahl is even funnier - she pioneered aspects of cinema, he filmed a Powerpoint presentation) but we both share the same general idea that he's sort of a hypocrit and that the film is utterly useless as anything other than a dot point like discussion on the issue.

I believe in global warming (it's hard not to), but I just think the execution was woeful. I saw more in depth reporting on Oprah's special dedicated to movie rather than in the movie itself.

Joel said...

And what's worse is it beat Jesus Camp AND Deliver Us From Evil! Jesus Camp should have been the victor that year.

Dr Greg Heinrich said...

I really like "An Inconvenient Truth", but I get what you're saying. It isn't much of a film. It's a compelling PowerPoint presentation though.

It is not the propaganda piece 'Anonymous' would like it to be. As opposed to, say Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11" which does contain misrepresentations and fabrications - in fact all Moore's films do this, especially "Roger and Me" (I'm saying this and I'm a leftist!).

But I digress. Gore's film is backed up by solid research. No person in the scientific community seriously disputes his facts. The only rebuttals come from non-expert rightwing politicians and journalists, such as Andrew Bolt.

Indeed Gore may have been on a board of directors of companies that pollute. But if you make this claim, be fair and do not omit his huge investments in carbon offsets with Generation Investment Management. There is no reason to doubt Gore's claims of being carbon neutral.

Kamikaze Camel said...

Joel, that is EXACTLY what I said to Adam on Facebook. Well, the "Deliver Us From Evil" part, anyway. I haven't seen "Jesus Camp". The idea of that movie is too creepy.

Joel said...

You should definitely check out Jesus Camp. Just take comfort while you watch that thanks to the doco, the 'camp' was forced to close down due to negative reaction from the public. Actually one of the best docos I've seen.
An Inconvenient Truth I never bothered with. 'Global Warming is bad!' I knew that already...