Friday, February 27, 2009

31 Days 'til NYC: Birth

In anticipation for my trip to New York City I will be counting down with some of my NYC movies (and even some that I don't like just for a change of pace). Hope you all enjoy.

Jonathan Glazer's Birth is such an amazing movie. Words sometimes escape me when the subject of this movie comes up. Luckily for me the subject of this movie rarely comes up. Luckily for my incapacitated brain functions, bad for movie-loving brain functions. Alas, whenever I can summon up words to discuss it they always tend to be defensive. I can never quite understand the vitriol thrown towards this movie. Was it because Nicole Kidman - giving the best performance of her career - was not only using her clout and her talent to get auteur(ish?) directors' projects off the ground instead of making obvious Oscar-bait films, but also having baths with kids? Was it because the film was channeling both Stanley Kubrick and Roman Polanski and that's just not on for by certain people?

I can understand finding the politics behind it quite silly and the general level of oddity that the movie encompasses was the very first hurdle, but something else happened to a lot of people watching this movie. Very similar to the recent release of The Reader. Bad? Fine. I won't agree with you, but that's your right. But to go about saying it ranks as one of the worst of its given year and that it's disgusting and awful in every single way? Something's fishy there! And how anyone can fault the two-minute long Opera shot is baffling. JUST BAFFLING! (I'm looking at you Richard Roeper.)

Or was it merely because Anne Heche's crazy eyes just freaked them the hell out? I'll never know. Lord knows that my dear Celestia has been known to bring out bile in people. Their loss, really.


Joel said...

Loved this film when I saw it at the cinema... But haven't gone back and watched it since. That will be my homework for next week.

Kamikaze Camel said...

Yes, you must. It is "magical". Just reels you right in.

Well, it did to me, anyway.

Kamikaze Camel said...

Oh, and also: The best film score of the decade.

J.D. said...

Hahaha, "Anne Heche and Her Technicolour Dreamcoat".