Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A New America

As I was watching Barack Obama's inauguration speech this evening (I recorded it during the night as it aired live at 3am and I had to get up for work at 6am - lovely) and there was a moment when he was discussing the men who founded the nation where my mind immediately went straight to Terrence Malick's 2005 film The New World, and how that's such an apt connection to Obama.

What a beautiful film it is, isn't it? To this very day I continue to not be able to come to a definitive answer as to whether The New World, Brokeback Mountain or Mysterious Skin is my favourite film from that year. It's such a hard choice. So while I sit here and try to decide (a pointless task, really) here are some of the beautiful images therein.






And when it that extra-ultra-super-extended edition supposed to be coming out, eh Mr Malick?

7 comments:

J.D. said...

I have been putting off watching this again for like, almost three years. I somehow managed to see it in theatres with my friend, but we ended up in a popcorn fight and I can't remember a damn thing except that it was mind-blowingly gorgeous. :(

Mike z said...

Love this movie.

Anonymous said...

Your American history is off by about 300 years. The landing of the settlers in the 1400's as depicted in "The New World" had nothing to do with the Revolutionary War in the 1770's or the founding of the United States, which is what Obama was referring to.

J.D. said...

Um, anon? The Jamestown settlement was founded in 1607.

Anonymous said...

Obama was referring to George Washington and his troops in the American Revolutionary War which was fought in 1776. He absolutely was not referring to Jamestown. Why would he?

Kamikaze Camel said...

umm, sorry? I'm not American. :/

VS said...

I can just think: Emanuel Lubeski is a fucking genius!!!