Sunday, January 11, 2009

Life on Mars

I just last night started rewatching Veronica Mars' first season. It really is great, isn't it? "Great" is in perhaps the best television series of the decade. Aaanyway, I was watching the episode "Meet John Smith" (episode 3) and who should I see pop up playing a transexual?





It's Melissa Leo! An Oscar-contender and SAG-nominee for her role as an illegal immigrant smuggler in Frozen River (my review here). Something tells me that even if she doesn't get that much-deserved Academy Award nomination that she'll get a few more better parts than this tiny role, or playing the role of a mistress on Law & Order or a corpse on CSI. Amy Ryan saw a boost in the sort of projects she started getting after her Oscar-nominated turn as an equally lowly suburbanite in last year's Gone Baby Gone (appearing in TV such as The Office and upcoming movies like Paul Greengrass' Green Zone and Clint Eastwood's Changeling) so here's hoping Leo gets the credit she deserves.

For now it's back to Veronica Mars I go.

3 comments:

crossoverman said...

Melissa Leo was so wonderful in "Homicide: Life on the Street" - she should have got this kind of recognition a decade ago. This has been a LONG time coming.

Kamikaze Camel said...

I never watched that show, but I do remember hearing stellar things about her when this came out in 2007 and people were amazed at how good she is.

Paul Martin said...

Wow, I'd never have recognised her without seeing the name.