Thursday, January 22, 2009

"Forty is the last age a woman can be photographed in a wedding gown without the unintended Diane Arbus subtext."

I am well aware that Sex and the City: The Movie is far from being the most well-written film of this or any other year, but I personally ADORE this quote (spoken by Candice Bergen in the film). I distinctly remember being the only person in the entire cinema who laughed at it - and I saw it on opening weekend with a sell out crowd in a large cinema - but I don't care.

Also, as I'm sitting here rewatching the movie (the mother bought it on DVD, i borrowed) I realise that Patrica Field's costume work really is spectacular. Not even just the clothes that the actors wear, but the clothes hanging in the closets and on racks, they all add so much. Even the outfits that I think are quite ugly to look at (such as the hibiscus dress to the left) are so filled with personality that they work. Could Field really pull off a second surprise Oscar nomination (after The Devil Wears Prada two years ago)? Here's hoping.


Vakuoli said...

Hi, I've wondered for months now what was this subtext about Diane Arbus and wedding gowns? I've studied Diane Arbus from the internet after seeing the film but haven't found anything that would explain this to me, even with the help of google. If you don't mind, would you save me from my ignorance?

Sliver said...

She took photographs of 'unusual' people. People that would have been called 'freaks' at the time. Her work is dark, grim, gloomy...hence the 'unintended Diane Arbus subtext'. Hope that helps. ;-)