Saturday, January 10, 2009

Everything on this Blog is the Opinion of It's Writer and Not Blogger Corporate

True story: I went to watch a DVD tonight and it took five minutes to get from the moment I put the DVD in the player until the movie actually started. First there were the general DVD screens they always have, then there was that annoying film piracy ad (below) which stupidly states "You wouldn't steal a handbag! DOWNLOAD PIRATED FILMS IS STEALING" (stupid because, for other reasons, it sounds like it's okay to steal movies if you do indeed steal cars too) and then a film studio logo screen. None of which was skippable, mind you.

Then after I pressed "Play Movie" on the main menu it went through yet another film piracy warning (this time in TEXT!), then another studio logo, then that screen that states all opinions in the film and the commentary are not those of the studio so don't sue them or else and then... AND THEN... that damned Dolby Surround Sound bit.

Heaven forbid that they just say "Presented in Dolby Surround Sound", noooo. They have to do an entire short movie involving things flying in space and piano chords being struck oh-so delicately so as the dust flies off of them in a poetic way. Thankfully the latter annoyance is easily skipped with a press of the button. Do you always skip that silly Dolby bit? Do you instantly press the button the moment you hear that music? I know I sure do...



*This frustrated rant was brought to you by the kind people behind the Hancock DVD that I don't remember ever adding to my Quickflix queue, yet somehow got sent to me. Lovely.

9 comments:

J.D. said...

I'm so used to all that that I'm sort of... numb to it. I just expect to wait 10 minutes before watching a movie. Is that sad? It feels sad.

Edward Gein said...

I have the six month rule---if it's not in local cinemas in six months, or available on DVD here within the same time period, and Amazon doesn't have it.... bring on the Somalian Webgods.

par3182 said...

and when you get past all that there's still the several overdone animated production company logos to get through. i watched something the other day that had four of the freakin' things

Kamikaze Camel said...

Hancock surprisingly had about three of them - one of which was cut off even in widescreen. So bizarre.

I only just noticed that one of my seasons of The Closer has this bizarre redubbed Casablanca scene where they're now talking about film piracy. I was so confused.

Joel said...

If stealing a car was as easy as sitting at a computer, clicking a button and getting a copy of the car in 1/2 an hour, i think a lot more people would be stealing cars...

Glenn said...

Wait, isn't that how people steal cars? I'M SO CONFUSED!

Edward Gein said...

and anyway it's really not stealing. It's borrowing. The film never disappears like a purse or a car. Although, it's hard to return the borrowed pixels sometimes...

Catherine said...

Joel, that's exactly what my dad grumbles every time that ridiculous ad comes on. We see a lot of those adverts because each disc of Arrested Development begins with it and we do a lot of family AD viewing.

Philip Concannon said...

Have you seen this? A spoof of that anti-piracy ad from the excellent IT Crowd:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CGXavXZwRcg&feature=related