Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Bollywood Already Came to Town, but That's Okay!

Are you still dancing from the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack that I know you bought as soon as you left the cinema? I kind of am. Definitely still grooving to "O... Sayo", but it's the "Jai Ho" number that everybody seems to really dig. Here are a couple of other Indian-flavoured tracks that you should add to your iTunes playlist. I had a few more, but I think I got "Indian" mixed with "Middle Eastern" on a few occasions. Understandable or insulting?

"Kiss Him for Me" by Siouxsie and the Banshees from their 1991 album Superstition
"Romeo" by Basement Jaxx from their 2002 album Rooty
"Jimmy" by M.I.A. from her 2007 album Kala



If you don't like Indian-styled music then be prepared becase I'm quite certain that it'll be popular this coming year. Any artist who is in need of attaching themselves to a trend to be cool will be releasing one with a crazy choreographed Bollywood routine to go with it. Fare warning. People will be acting like it's all new and sudden, but really it's been there for years. If Jay-Z was doing it years ago then it's not "new".

Here, for your viewing pleasre, are four Bollywood numbers that I really like, and ones that a lot of people would be familiar with in one way or another.

"Chaiyya Chaiyya" from Mani Ratnam's Dil Se, which was used in the opening credits of Spike Lee's Inside Man. The song was written by AR Rahman, the man responsible for Slumdog's music.
"Chamma Chamma" from Rajkumar Santoshi's China Gate, which was sampled by Baz Luhrmann in Moulin Rouge!
"Aaja Nachle" from Mira Nair's Monsoon Wedding
"Spectacular Spectacular" from Baz Luhmann's Moulin Rouge! (he was ahead of the trend, clearly)




And, well, here's Slumdog Millionaire's "Jai Ho" number just for kicks. It really is delightful in that pre-packaged sort of way. The clip is taken straight out of the movie so, considering it's performed over the closing credits, spoilers are within if you haven't seen the movie (and can't predict how it ends.)

5 comments:

J.D. said...

I was surprised by how much I liked the dance ending. Granted, it's not much, but I thought I'd hate it, LOL. The song has been epically getting on my nerves.

"O...Saya" is definitely the best song in the film, by far. I sorta hope it's nominated too (or instead of "Jai Ho" - *dreamer*) just so we can see M.I.A. on the Oscar stage? That's be sweet.

Michael Parsons said...

O....Saya is by far the best song in the film, which means it won't get an Oscar nom. This is a wonderful post. So many people are getting really pissed off about Slumdogs eventual march to Oscar, but forgetting (myself included) that it is refreshing to see a largely Indian film garnering so much attention.

Paul said...

I actually don't like "Jai Ho" - I think it's totally destroyed by its Spanish "baila, baila" part.
And that weird amateur dance?
I'd rahter have "O... Saya" with the beautiful scene it acompanies.

Glenn said...

Michael, I am definitely not amongst the film's supporters, and the fact you state would be more refreshing if it was less of a "lonely planet photoprapher guide to India", but this entry was about music, not Slumdog.

Michael Parsons said...

I agree with that. But still this film will be popular and may reach an uninformed mass which is always a good thing.

But the music is fantasitic, I agree and I can see 2009 all being about Bollywood. ever been a huge fan of the films, but always loved the music.
Nice to see M.I.A. finally reaching the masses as well, as she has been a favourite for a while.
As for M.I.A. being on the Oscar stage......that is far too much to even think about.