Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre vs Friday the 13th

vs

No, this isn't some battle-style entry comparing the two film franchises, but merely a comparison of the films' trailers. Say wha? Yeah, I know!

I just watched the newly-released trailer for the Marcus Nispel's Friday the 13th remake/reimagining/restart/rewhatever (courtesy My New Plaid Pants) and was struck by how similar it was to that of Nispel's first horror remake, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre in 2003. Now, I am a big fan of the remake for reasons I think I've gone into before and I think the trailer is a thing of beauty. The trailer for Friday the 13th, however, is - while good - worrying. It appears that the two films are identical! As I sat and watched Jason Vorhees cut his way through two and a half minutes of exposition, I could point out a whole bunch of similarities. And not just similarities in the way that most horror movies have similar setups and characters, I mean shot-for-shot copies from the 2003 horror remake. It's as if they merely took scenes from Chainsaw and inserted them into Friday the 13th.

Here are but nine examples - I got over taking screencaps after a while - with Texas on top and Friday on the bottom.










Nispel really needs to get some new tricks into his repertoire.

8 comments:

Scott Mendelson said...

Both of the recent Chainsaw films had terrific trailers (hell, my New Beginning is my favorite TCM film - period). But the Chainsaw style doesn't work for Friday The 13th because everyone knows that the Jason movies aren't actually scary. The Chainsaw trailers were effective because the movies themselves have a greater potential for suspense. There was potential for pain, suffering, stunning revelations, and emotional agony. It's not 'we're having sex, oh wait, now we're beheaded- the end'.

They are different franchises and I don't see much hope for the latter being any better than its forebear (not that it has to try too hard).

Glenn said...

Indeed. On one hand the trailer for Friday the 13th is encouraging in that the footage looks impressive as a horror movie (all he bits with Jason are spot on) but it's worrying too because as a trailer for a Friday the 13th movie it feels like a trailer for a Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie and, as you say, the two are not interchangable. We'll see...

dtownla said...

I guess I will have to disagree with you on the TCM remake which had a GREAT trailer, but was a LOUSY remake for one simple fact: The Final Girl (Jessica Biel) was the one who made all of the stupid choices (we can't leave, let's go find someone in that old house, let's call the cops) that got her friends killed. The FG should always be the one who has the sixth sense that there is danger ahead, not the idiot who gets everyone into hot water.

F13 remake is troubling because it's the same team behind it. That having been said, Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a classic original film. Any remake would suffer by comparison. F13 was always cheesy fun popcorn slasher and not as precious. I think it should be a fun time.

Pax Romano said...

And I will bet that there will be at least one older woman in cat's eye glasses!

Glenn said...

dtownla, Sally from the original TCM isn't exactly tingling with psychic abilities. She merely stomps around that house and honks the car horn for a long time. And, really, who thinks it's wise to - when all your friends have suspiciously disappeared - push your wheelchair bound brother through darm ominous brush?

Having said that, it's a masterpiece. I just don't entirely adhere to your Final Girl theory.

ed said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.