Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I Am Sasha Ridiculous

By now you've all probably heard about what an atrocious album Beyonce's latest is, I Am... Sasha Fierce. Filled with dire ballads with no tunes whatsoever (with the exception of "Halo", which should justifiably be a hit), worst of all is "Hello", a dreadful concoction on which Knowles sounds like a bogan Ethel Merman impersonator sprouting Cameron Crowe dialogue. The "Sasha Fierce" side of this misguided two-disc affair ain't much better. "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)" is the best thing here and "Diva", while terrible, at least made me chuckle.

It just really makes me wonder what in god's name is going on inside that woman's head. It's one thing to try and be a modern day Ziggy Stardust, but it turned out more like the Bob doppelgänger from Twin Peaks: grotesque and incredibly frightening. As hit-and-miss as Beyonce's first two solo albums have been neither can compared to the near uniform awfulness of I Am... Sasha Fierce. No matter which edition you torture yourself by listening to - the deluxe edition merely extends the horror - it's enough to make you wanna scream and say "stick to acting!" I know!

4 comments:

Guy said...

Can the world just give it up and acknowledge that Solange has completely wiped the floor with her sister this year? Seriously, if Beyonce had made "Sol-Angel and the Hadley Street Dreams," people wouldn't stop talking about it.

"Sandcastle Disco" is greater than all of Beyonce's singles put together. And I like a lot of Beyonce's singles.

End of fan rant.

Hardy said...

I think I Am Sasha Fierce is her best album? The girl can never catch a break, can she?

Sol-Angel and the Hadley Street Dreams, while good, is not as good as I Am Sasha Fierce, IMO.

I mean Halo, Radio. The lovely Satellites? Come on Glenn.

Sally Belle said...

I am with you on the ridiculous side of this.

What was the album Garth Brooks put out under a different name? Reminds me of that effort. Misguided.

Glenn said...

I should mention I had this typed out a few weeks ago and just discovered that I never posted it so I thought I'd throw it up.

Solange's album wasn't anywhere near excellent, but it was far better than Sasha Fierce.