Saturday, December 13, 2008

All I Want for Christmas is a Great Christmas Song

Can you believe there are under two weeks until Christmas Day? Crazy, I know. I have naturally been getting into the spirit by listening to my favourite Christmas tracks. Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You" is a given consideding it's a all-round brilliant pop track let alone one of the finest Christy-themed tunes of all time. Wham!'s "Last Christmas" and Barbra Streisand's "Jingle Bells" have also had my speakers on overdrive, and it's shocking (S-H-O-C-K-I-N-G) that Bros' "Silent Night" doesn't get played more. It's the Showgirls of ridiculous corporate Christmas starfucking!


Of course, I naturally gravitate towards Girls Aloud's Christmas-themed Chemistry bonus disc with particular favourites being "Not Tonight Santa", "I Wanna Kiss You So (Christmas in a Nutshell)", "Jingle Bell Rock" and "Merry Xmas Everybody". RuPaul's Ho Ho Ho, too, is the gift that keeps on giving for hilarious Christmas tunes. Ever want an Xmas tune that references breast implants? RuPaul is the guy to go to! And it seems more acts are getting in on the act as quality pop acts release Christmas tracks - the irony is indeed that many pop acts are not ironic at all, but the occasionally quite pretentious indie music festival crowd think they are - and another one has just come down the line and it's a stunner.

Lady GaGa, whose album you may remember I reviewed and got hilariously scornful hate mail about, has released "Christmas Tree" on her MySpace page - and a brief google will help you find any number of blogs offering it for download - and it is actually very excellent. Possibly even better than anything on her album The Fame. Here it below, it's delicious!

5 comments:

Dame James Henry said...

"All I Want for Christmas is You" is absolutely perfect. It's not Christmas until I hear that song at least 50 times.

I didn't realize Girls Aloud had a whole Christmas album! I just thought that they only had "Jingle Bell Rock" as a B-side and that was it. I'm going to have to find this album now.

Glenn said...

They rereleased Chemistry with a bonus Christmas disc and gave it the new album cover. That Christmas cover is the greatest thing known to mankind, right? Cause it is!

Dame James Henry said...

I downloaded it pretty much as soon as I submitted my comment and it's freaking fantastic (but, then again, have Girls Aloud ever done anything less than stellar?).

And, yes, that Christmas cover is the greatest thing known to mankind. It also makes you mourn the fact that their "Out of Control" cover is so absolutely dreadful...where did their creativity go when it was time for that photo shoot?

On a side note, have you seen this album cover from the British group Same Difference? It reminds me a lot of this Chemistry cover, albeit one that's a teensy bit threadbare in comparison.

ed said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
youyou said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.