Wednesday, November 19, 2008

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 20/11/08

American Teen - Documentary.

Fugitive Pieces - Canadian drama about a man who can't move on from the horrors of WWII when dealing with his relationships to women.

Quantum of Solace - I can't get that much enthusiasm for this movie, actually. Something about it just doesn't quite sit right. Or, it could just be that it's out but a mere one week before Australia and that's taking up all my anticipation right now. WEEEE! One week to go. See, I'm already sidetracked.

Youth Without Youth - Awww. I feel a bit sorry for this movie. Don't you?

DVD Releases for the Week 20/11/08

Hancock - Do you care?

Mongol - Kazakhstan's first ever Oscar-nominee was this acclaimed trilogy-opener about Genghis Khan.

Black Water - This superb Aussie killer crocodile thriller should be put right to the top of whatever DVD service you use. I reviewed it earlier this year and it would be really worth your while to seek it out. It's scary and thrilling and everything a movie like this should be. Plus, it's better than Open Water, the film it clearly rips off.

No TV screenings for this week.


J.D. said...

I don't feel "sorry" for Youth Without Youth. Just angry at everyone else on the face of the earth for not accepting it with open arms and/or knowing what it is. Stupid unappreciative world population.

Also, I can't not plug this.

Anonymous said...

I admire Youth Without Youth but I did struggle through the film. The film is great to look at and I loved Coppola's direction but the story left me a bit cold. It is getting harsh reviews but I didn't think it was as bad as what these reviewers are saying. It is a complex, challenging and difficult film but well worth seeing.