Tuesday, November 25, 2008

America Prefers Their Liam Neeson Dark and Brooding

I came across the new poster for Taken today. This is a film produced by Luc Besson and starring Liam Neeson as a man who is out to get his kidnapped daughter back (or something to that effect). It has already been released in most parts of the world except, strangely, America. And yet looking at this newly released poster for the movie, I was struck by how different it was to the foreign designs. Let's look, shall we?


Gone is the pulpy action vibe, the picturesque Parisian views and Liam Neeson being all athletic. What they have been replaced by is this:

All dark and brooding. Very icy and monochromatic. I suppose that's "in" these days, isn't it? It's a good design, sure, but I can't help but be a little taken aback by it. Especially since it's done well box office-wise in countries like Australia, UK Mexico and France. We'll see when it's released in America in January.


J.D. said...

I'm really starting to HATE those "ooh, look at this these giant, margined words covering 90% of it, telling you absolutely nothing outside of a stupid, formulaic vengeance tagline" posters. THEY'RE ALL THE SAME.

Guy said...

The UK poster is roughly halfway between those two:


Unfortunately, however they package it, it's still a yawn of a film. It's just so weirdly dated, right down to the casting -- Liam Neeson as an action hero? Is it 1992 or something?

Poor Neeson, ordinarily two prominent lead roles would be a good thing for a past-prime actor, but they've really done him no favours. "The Other Man" is, hands down, the worst film I've seen this year. Hard to believe, but true.

Anyway, good to have you back, Glenn! How was the move?

Syms Covington said...

For some reason it reminded me of Eastern Promises when I saw this. But the poster for that film is rather different. But reminded me nonetheless.

Glenn said...

The font used for the title reminds reminds me of Asian film posters, actually.

Guy, I'll message you on Facebook about it.

I haven't seen the film, but the trailer seemed more in line with the pulpy posters, not the dour American one.