Sunday, October 19, 2008

You, Too, Can Lick Toni Collette's Behind!


These are Australia's Favourite Films, according to the AFI internet survey. So, really, they're most likely not Australia's five favourites, but for the sake of argument we'll say that this is entirely comprehensive and binding.

The inclusion of titles like Gallipoli, Muriel's Wedding and The Castle aren't surprising in the least, but even I raised an eyebrow that the trannies and drag queens of The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert made it in with their overtly queer sensibilities and sexual humour. Kudos to all the others who voted for it (I did, obviously). I was also a little bit surprised to see Ray Lawrence's Lantana in there. Not because it's not deserving - it most certainly is - but it's a very intellectual and highbrow film and, even though AFI voters obviously responded enough to it in 2001 to award it all the major awards at the ceremony, I thought it may have faded from the memory of audiences who prefer the comedies - which is why I thought Kenny would make it in, actually. These five films will be "immortalised" (hah) on a collection of stamps. Boy, Australians love their collectable stamps, don't they?

Anyway, it's a good lineup. Despite what people say about our industry (naturally, all Aussies) we have quite a good selection of bonafide classics that people respond to. It just begs the question - where are today's Muriel Weddings or Gallipolis, you know?

In other AFI news, it turns out that they haven't been able to secure Geoffrey Rush for a third year and so now hosting duties will fall to Stephen Curry. He won an AFI Award last year for his performance in Graham Kennedy biopic The King and gave a funny speech, so hopefully he's decent. He also starred in The Castle, so there's a nice parallel for you. I go back and forth on Curry though, don't you?

7 comments:

par3182 said...

first of all, when did stamps go up to 55 cents?

if voters memories stretched back to 'gallipoli' i'm surprised 'crocodile dundee' didn't make it

but it's a fine line-up; if i ever use snail mail again...

crossoverman said...

I'm not at all surprised Priscilla is in there, given how popular the stage musical version has been!

For a popular vote, that's actually a very decent Top Five.

Glenn said...

Aah yes, the musical. I had forgotten that that may have revised affections for the film.

Par, I was surprised to not only that stamps were 55c but that I, apparently, don't send anything through the post anymore. Except my Quickflix movies, but they're pre-paid. I'm trying to remember the last time I actually bought a stamp...

Syms Covington said...

It's more a: top 50 movies according to the people that actually were in the AFI-Australia post promo loop. Also, I have a beef about the restrictive voting process - the actual form was rejected if you entered films that weren;t on the list, as I did with Emerald City and Undead.

JA said...

How do I buy a Muriel's Wedding stamp? Ahh! Me want!

Glenn said...

Syms, I wrote about the odd voting form previously.

Guy said...

Gee, I want a Lantana stamp... someone in Oz send me a letter, please.