Wednesday, October 8, 2008

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 09/10/08

Body of Lies - My anticipation for this movie is based solely on the pedigree of it's director (Ridley Scott) and cast (Russell Crowe, Leonardo DiCaprio) rather than anything represented in the trailer, because none of that trailer made any sense. What exactly is this movie about?

My Best Friend's Girl - Why is anybody allowing Dane Cook (or Jason Biggs for that matter) to continue to make movies? And, really, what is Kate Hudson's career doing?

The Rocker - I guess, as sad as it may be, even Dane Cook has fans (even if they are pre-man), but who on Earth is going to waste their time on this? It doesn't even look bad enough to be a curiosity.

Towlehead - Aaron Eckhart and Maria Bello star in this film by American Beauty and Six Feet Under creator Alan Ball. Toni Collette features.

DVD Releases for the Week 09/10/08

The Counterfeiters - Austrian film that won this year's Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film, which was a hit at the box office.

Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus: The Best of Both Worlds - Etc.

The Happening - You know what I was saying up there about The Rocker? Yeah, not the case here!

Iron Man - I, strangely, didn't see this at the cinema, but am looking forward to catching up with it on DVD.

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Dollars - Popular doco about the desire to break the world record on arcade games.

Over Her Dead Body - This '80s ghost pastiche starring Eva Longoria Parker is going direct-to-DVD here. Surprise! Surprise! I have contempt for any movie that features Fame Sucking Whore #1 on its IMDb profile page.


Rats and Cats - Aussie comedy that was met with enthusiasm by many, but I wasn't quite as keen on it. Still, quite funny in parts though, I just was sick of dreary wintery look (bad criticism, I know). I wanted to bask in the sun once this movie was over (which was impossible since I saw it at night!)

War/Dance - Oscar-nominated documentary.

TV Screenings for the Week 09/10/08

09/10/08, The Broken Hearts Club: A Romantic Comedy (2001), 10HD, 11.25PM - Queer romcom (as the title suggests) about a bunch of gay men on a baseball team.

10/10/08, The Bourne Supremacy (2004), C10, 8.30PM - Am I the only one these days who prefers this one to The Bourne Ultimatum? Cause I do. A lot. I love this one.

11/10/08, Holes (2003), C7, 6.30PM - This is a very good "kids flick" starring Shia LaBeouf, Sigourney Weaver, Jon Voight and Patricia Arquette. And, yes, this is where my fondness for Shia began.

11/10/08, Vertigo (1958), ABC2, 8.30PM - Duh!

11/10/08, Total Recall (1990), C10, 10.30PM - I saw this movie soooo long ago and I was so young that I don't remember anything about it except a vague concept of the sets. I should rewatch it.

12/10/08, Femme Fatale (2002), C9, 12.10AM - Georgous!

12/10/08, The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994), C7, 11.05PM - Because it is perhaps - apart from Flying High - the funniest movie ever made. And I still love that this film won the Best Costume Design Oscar. And, of course, not only that - but Lizzy Gardiner wore a dress made out of American Express credit cards. Amazing!


13/10/08 - There's nothing on today, I just thought I'd mention that the 13th is my birthday. Yay.

14/10/08, Them! (1954), SBS, 12.40AM - Man oh man, I hope I remember to DVR this. Giant ants, people! GIANT KILLER ANTS!!!

14/10/08, Don't Look Back (1967), SBS, 10.05PM - D.A. Pennebaker's famous Bob Dylan documentary screens as part of SBS's Wednesday night Hot Docs. I'll try and catch it. Maybe it'll make some of I'm Not There make sense. Maybe. Probably not.

14/10/08, 12:08 East of Bucharest, SBS, 11.50PM - This screened just months ago at MIFF and it's already on TV? Just goes to show that distribution - even on the festival circuit - is still just a big joke.

15/10/08, Glitter, 10HD, 11.30PM - Clearly one of the greatest movies ever made!

4 comments:

Dame James Henry said...

The only way you could make sense out of I'm Not There is to have Todd Haynes lecturing right at you, pausing the movie at certain parts and explaining what he was going for. It's certainly not a bad movie, but it's something that needs a little explanation for somewhere.

syms said...

Now that's a movie title if I ever saw one: "I, strangely"

J.D. said...

Holes! I love Holes! It's probably one of the best "kids" films ever made, right? Because it always feels like it is.

Shia. Sigh.

Dave said...

Am I the only one these days who prefers this one to The Bourne Ultimatum?

No.