Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Poster of the Day: Cabin in the Sky

Cabin in the Sky (1943)
dir. Vincente Minnelli

I couldn't write about this movie for Musical of the Month at the Film Experience (damn elusive DVDs!), but I do think the poster is all kinds of swell. Sure, it's probably a bit racist like the movie itself is (apparently, I repeat, apparently), but I don't think that stops it from being a great piece of art. Or does it? I'm not sure where to stand on that sort of thing. Of course, the mere fact that I'm not sure if the poster is racist (I'm not that fluent on American race history) is probably answer enough. Although, looking carefully, the angel in heaven appears to be in Blackface whereas the devil in Hell just looks to be black. Hmmm. I don't really know what I'm going on about.

No comments: