Friday, October 17, 2008

Deceptive!

I watched Deception last night. You know, that movie about Ewan McGregor and Hugh Jackman being apart of a sex club! Don't remember it? Don't worry, I don't think many people do. I was watching it last night, however, on DVD and as I was sitting there at 1am watching the film begin to unravel and I thought to myself "Yes, this movie is sort of crap, but it's the sort of movie I can imagine being a perfect movie to watch at 1 in the morning," that I predict will show up on late night television a lot in the future as sleazy counter programming to all those infomercials and televangelists. It's not exactly challenging, but it has a decent central idea and it's always nice to see people like Hugh Jackman and Michelle Williams (let's not start on Ewan McGregor, okay? He's had a rough few years!) and I thought the cinematography had a nice griminess to it with all those empty office buildings and creepy deserted streets.

And then the movie continued and I soon decided "No, this is just kind of crap!" I would like to know what parallel version of New York City Deception was set in because I don't think I've ever seen the city look so empty. Characters walk down empty street sidewalks and drive down empty roads and stand at empty subway stations. It was all quite strange. And, really, it's about as "erotic" as a wet sock (unless that's your "thing", in which case replace that euphemism with something else) and is, basically, a daytime movie with bigger stars and more titty shots. The final scenes, however, are really poor. I think the constant almost icky night sequences had tricked me into thinking this film had "atmosphere" when it really had nothing of the sort.

Brian Helcomb at CinemaBlend actually has the perfect quote to describe this movie (which I found on Rotten Tomatoes):

This film would make a perfect commercial thriller for James Spader and Rob Lowe were it still 1994.

Indeed, the very best things about the movie were Charlotte Rampling, who seemed to be the only person in the cast having any fun with the fact that her character is a high-powered business executive having raunchy anonymous sex, and, then, of course, this scene...


I am a simple man, true. C-

PS; Can somebody give Lisa Gay Hamilton something good to do again. It's been a while.

No comments: