Wednesday, September 24, 2008

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 25/09/08

Beverly Hills Chihuahua - All that stuff I wrote about how awful film distribution can be in this country? I take it all back because we get Beverly Hills Chihuahua a week before the USA. We're so lucky.

EagleEye - I wasn't too keen on this movie, despite starring Shia LaBeouf, but the reviews have been quite good, especially Jim Schembri at The Age.

The House Bunny - "Starring Anna Faris" is all I need. Sure, it's probably as smart as a fire hydrant, but I don't particularly care. JUST LOOK AT THAT POSTER!! Hilaaaarious.


Journey to the Center of the Earth - The second Brendan Fraser movie in three weeks. The world has not spun off its axis.

Whaledreamers - Documentary narrated by Jack Thompson and featuring Pierce Brosnan, Geoffrey Rush, John Hurt and Julian Lennon as it follows a collection of indigenous cultures who feel connected to the whale.

Wild Child - This actually opened last week, but I forgot it. Such is the perils (hah) of school holiday rollouts. I was surprised to discover this wasn't just a quick St Trinians sequel, but instead a movie starring someone related to Julia Roberts. Wow.

DVD Releases for the Week 25/09/08

The Black Balloon - The highest grossing Australian film of the year and obvious frontrunner for the AFI Award for Best Film (amongst others). I know many didn't care for it, but it proved quite popular and I actually think it's a perfect example of what our industry needs to do more of. It deals with an important topic, like so many of our industry's films, but does it stylishly and not with grimy darkness that depresses anybody watching. And it's casting is perfect. You have a star (Toni Collette), a young Home & Away star (Rhys Wakefield), an older TV star (Erik Thompson) and a pretty young famous face to get the papers talking (Gemma Ward). And people think it's rocket science. It probably helps that the film isn't just people moping about reveling in their own boganism (new word, invented my ME) for one and a half painful hours like so many Australian films.

Bruce Springsteen with the Sessions Band: Live in Dublin - I caught the tailend of this special when it was on TV earlier this year and it was amazing so I intend to get the DVD and watch the whole thing through several times because y'all know how much I love Bruce.

A Horton Hears a Who! - Apparently not as bad as it first appeared, but... meh!

Made of Honour - Wow. How bad does this movie look?

Seed - Wow. How bad does this movie look?

St. Trinians - Wow. How bad does this movie look?

TV Screenings for the Week 25/09/08

25/09/08, 3-Iron (2004), SBS, 10.05PM - Kim Ki-duk directs this award-winning film.

27/09/08, Highway (2002), C9, 1.00AM - This movie has developed into a bit of a queer since it stars Jake Gyllenhaal and Jared Leto.

27/09/08, Staying Alive (1983), C10, 12.00PM - Saturday, aka the last Saturday in September, is Grand Final day. As it stands I will be cheering on the mighty Geelong Cats as they charge towards (hopeful) victory. That mean, unfortunately, I won't be able to watch this Sylvester Stallone-directed masterpiece sequel to Saturday Night Fever. C-L-A-S-S-I-C

27/09/08, 55 Days at Peking (1963), C9, 1.30PM - Nicholas Ray-directed drama starring Charlton Heston and Ava Gardner. Shame it's on at the same time as the footy final.

27/09/08, Cars (2006), C7, 6.30PM - I don't care what anybody else says, I adore this movie so much. It's just so beautiful.

28/09/08, My Fair Lady (1964), C7, 1.10PM - I hired this movie from the video store a while back and was all set to watch it until I realised it went for three hours and that I just didn't have the patience that day for three hours of twee musical-ness. Plus, I had just watched Breakfast at Tiffany's for the first time and that took a lot of time to recover from.

28/09/08, Tsotsi (2005), SBS, 9.05PM - Oscar-winner for Best Foreign Language Film, a first for South Africa if I'm not mistaken. Strangely, it's director is Gavin Hood who has since gone on to make the Witherspoon/Gyllenhaal/Streep war movie Rendition as well as Wolverine, the X-Men spinoff of Hugh Jackman's clawed character. What a strange career trajectory.

29/09/08, Remember the Titans (2000), 7HD, 1.00PM - The only movie about American football that I can stand.

30/09/08, L.A. Law: The Movie (2002), C7, 12.00PM - Oh man, I always enjoyed watching LA Law when I was younger even though I had no idea what was going on. I think it was just all the palm trees. Although, a quick glance through the episode guide shows that the writers of this show (Steven Bochco and David E Kelley amongst them) titled episodes "I'm In the Nude", "To Live and Diet in LA", "Urine Trouble Now", "Divorce with Extreme Prejudice", "Full Marital Jacket" and "Bang... Boom... Zap..." among many others, which is pretty much AMAZING, no?

31/09/08, The Paper will be Blue (2006), SBS, 12.10AM - With the recent success of Romanian cinema (4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days was one of my ten faves from '07) maybe it's time to take a look at Radu Muntean's film.

5 comments:

Ben Wilson said...

Excuse me, look, I'm sorry but.... are you implying that Breakfast at Tiffany's is anything other than cinematic perfection? Because if you are, well.... I'm very disappointed. So very disappointed indeed.

Kamikaze Camel said...

I really really don't like that movie.

Joel said...

Jim Schembri is a moron though, he is so inconsistent with his reviews. Like giving Zohan a better rating than the Dark Knight. I wish I could think of more examples...

Completely agree about Cars. Why is there so much hate for this film? Sure it's not Pixars most originally plotted film, but I still loved it.

Paul Martin said...

Glenn, if you're prepared to wait, I have free tix to Eagle Eye coming in the mail shortly. I don't want to use them, so you're welcome to them if you want. Apparently I've won 6 months of free tix courtesy of Palace Cinemas and Paramount Pictures. I'm told tix for The Duchess are also coming, and I don't want them either.

Ben Wilson said...

I once wrote to Jim Schembri concerning a review of SBS's Queer As Folk in which he wrote that gays like to draw parallels between themselves and Nazi Germany. Naturally, I merely pointed out that gays do not need to "draw parallels", as between 5000 and 15,000 were actually executed (Pink Triangle, anyone?). He wrote back via a note (yes, not letter, note), calling me confused. No elaboration. Alas, he may be an OK film critic, but I must say I was very disappointed by this.