Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Got Milk?

Wow, I'm so original. I'm sure nobody else on the Internet has thought of using that a subject title, huh?

Yesterday, I spoke about how I never really discuss movie trailers because enough people do that already. Well, here's one I do want to discuss, and it's the trailer for Gus Van Sant's Harvey Milk biopic, titled Milk courtesy of InContention. I mentioned yesterday how so many people discuss movie trailers, yet don't seem to be able to tell what makes a trailer good or not and merely base their ideas on what they think their opinions on the movie itself are going to be (case in point, most Hollywood blockbusters - No, The Dark Knight isn't the most amazing trailer ever produced, thank you very much).

Now, I freely admit to being excited for this movie, especially since watching the 1984 Oscar-winning documentary The Times of Harvey Milk. That documentary made me weep, and this Milk trailer makes me believe I'll do the same for it come January 29 (it's tentative Aussie release date). Besides the emotional baggage that a film like Milk brings along it just looks damn good, doesn't it? And it's a wonderfully cut trailer with superb use of music and the historical footage is blended in seemlessly.

There is the moment, of course, when the trailer warns you that it's not going to be the light and fluffy tale of a gay man who got into politics, but is instead a story of a man whose life was cut down by the act of violence brought on by a man whose beliefs and ideas still permeate throughout society. Sean Penn, who plays Harvey, looks like he's giving the best performance we've seen from him in a very long time (at least from this decade, although seeing what's happened to the memory of Heath Ledger's Brokeback Mountain performance in the wake of The Dark Knight makes me wonder if many people will want to admit it if it's true) and the supporting cast of James Franco, Emile Hirsch, Josh Brolin (as Milk's assassin, Dan White) and Alison Pill all look great too. Stunning. Now all we're waiting for is the poster, which should be up very soon.

2 comments:

leah said...

terrific trailer, i can't wait for the movie! penn looks to be in fine form and van sant, with his ability to tap into the complexities of the human condition, is the perfect director to do this story justice

richardwatts said...

'His life changed history. His courage changed lives.'

That taglines brings tears to my eyes every time I see this trailer. God I hope the film lives up to my expectations!