Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Album Covers of Grace Jones

Much like I did with Diana Ross but... ya know, not. Grace Jones doesn't have as many albums as Ross (only nine studio albums if I'm adding correctly plus greatest hits compilations) so to make up for that I have included some of her single covers (god bless the inventor of the Maxi Single) as, in true Jones fashion, they are just as amazing and brilliant as the album covers (which is so rarely ever the case). "Nipple to the Bottle" and "La Vie en Rose" are, I think, particularly ace. It's odd to be anticipating an album cover, but that's what I'm doing as we await to see what crazy photograph she uses for the cover of her upcoming Hurricane album (which features "Corporate Cannibal").

Portfolio (1977)

La Vie en Rose (1977)

Fame (1978)

Do or Die (1978)

Muse (1979)

Warm Leatherette (1980)

Nightclubbing (1981)

Living My Life (1982)

Nipple to the Bottle / The Apple Stretching (1982)

Slave to the Rhythm (1985)

Island Life (1985)

Inside Story (1986)

Bulletproof Heart (1989)

Love On Top Of Love (1989)

Warm Leatherette [re-issue] (1989)

The Ultimate Grace Jones (1993)

Remember when high profile artists used to create interesting album art? Now you're lucky if someone wears a funny avant guard outfit on the inside of an album sleeve. GEEZ! And watching this clip of Jones on Countdown (Aussie music show, classic, below) just further proves how amazing the '80s were. Can you imagine someone getting away with this in any other decade? I saw MIA perform on Letterman a while back and I can tell ya that crowd did not get it. I guess we still have Roisin Murphy, hey?

5 comments:

Trey said...

I love the mess out of the Island Life cover. Did you know that her pose is a cut-and-paste composite? It blows my mind.
http://arts.guardian.co.uk/image/0,,1672997,00.html

elgringo said...

The Island Life cover is beautiful.
Who approved that Do or Die cover?
My mind is still wrapping around the Slave to the Rhythm cover.

mcinerney_d said...

'elringo' should learn something about contextualising things into a time and place, such as the 'Do or Die' cover. It's one of the best sleeve designs from the DISCO era of the late 1970's. It captures the mood of the era and it's music and the Grace Jones persona of that particular time.
One of my all time favourites!
The 12" single sleeves for 'I Need A Man', 'Sorry', 'On Your Knees' and 'I'm Not Perfect (But I'm Perfect For You)' are also superb.

mcinerney_d said...

'elringo' should learn something about contextualising things into a time and place, such as the 'Do or Die' cover. It's one of the best sleeve designs from the DISCO era of the late 1970's. It captures the mood of the era and it's music and the Grace Jones persona of that particular time.
One of my all time favourites!

patric lehmann said...

Almost all of her album covers and set designs were created by Jean Paul Goude. Goude was Graces husband and the father of her son. Sergio. Goude is an internationally known artist who also did all the sets and planning for the Bastille Day Parade in Paris. He also directed and did the art direction and sets on all of her videos.