Wednesday, August 27, 2008

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 28/08/08

Bonneville - Normally a movie with Joan Allen, Jessica Lange and Kathy Bates would be right up my alley. Alas, this one is not.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army - Call it indifference, but I just have no desire to see this sequel at all. I didn't hate the first Hellboy, I just didn't care enough about it. Moving on.

My Blueberry Nights - I have wanted to see this latest film by Wong Kar-Wai for a long time now, bad reviews and all. Also, does Norah Jones remind anyone of Mila Kunis? No...? Oh, nevermind then.

Not Quite Hollywood - Is this it? Is Mark Hartley's documentary about the hey day of Aussie genre filmmaking the film that will put a bit of oomph back into the industry? It certainly deserves to be, whether audiences will flock to a documentary about the very industry that they claim to not want to support is another thing entirely. My review here.

DVD Releases for the Week 28/08/08

Black Xmas - Going by the title Black Xmas down here, this yuletide horror flick is finally getting released. However, you'd think that having waited so long to release it direct-to-DVD (it was released in American cinemas on Christmas Day last year) that they would wait a couple more months and release actually at Christmas time. I'll never understand distributors. Never.

Deception - I wanted to this movie even after it had gotten horrible reviews. I'm pretty sure it would've been more successful if they had gone with the punchier title of Hugh Jackman Goes to a Sex Club! Alas...


it bares repeating

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - I wasn't quite as taken as everyone else with this French film by Julian Schnabel, I found it a tad too repetitious and one-note, but that's just me I suspect.

I Could Never Be Your Woman - Oh dear. Every time I see this title though I am reminded of that White Town song "Your Woman". Anyone? ANYONE?

Prom Night - This "horror" remake will hold a special place with me for reasons I won't go into, but when I saw this at the cinema it was a RIOT. Everybody in the cinema was joining together to communally laugh in the face of Prom Night. It was epic. "Oh, there's a fire alarm and everybody in this hotel complex is being evacuated... I FORGOT MY SHAWL! I'll go back up to my room, which is possibly on fire, in the elevator to get my shawl. I can't leave that behind." To quote Victoria Beckham - MAJOR!

TV Screenings for the Week 28/08/08

28/08/08, Hidden (2005), SBS, 10.05PM - Walking out of the cinema after this movie I heard two men talking about how they didn't understand the final scene. Interrupting them to let them in on what I had seen I got sucked into a whole discussion with these absolute strangers. Random.

29/08/08, Romancing the Stone (1984), C7, 12:00PM - Raise your hands if you're still sad that Kathleen Turner was snubbed for an Oscar nomination for this film!

29/08/08, American Dreamz (2006), C10, 8.30PM - I am only mentioning this movie because it is truly one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Terrible beyond words.

29/08/08, Human Touch (2004), SBS, 11.05PM - Paul Cox drama starring Jacqueline McKenzie and Aaron Blabey.

30/08/08, Night Watch (2004), C10, 12.30AM - From the director of Wanted!

30/08/08, The Incredibles (2004), C7, 6.30PM - You should already own this on DVD for those frequent times when you just feel like watching the best (or second best, I can never quite decide) movie Pixar has ever made. You just should.

30/08/08, Gods & Monsters (1998), ABC2, 8.30PM - Ian McKellen really should be an Oscar winner by now, huh?

30/08/08, Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man (2005), SBS, 10.00PM - Music documentary featuring performances by the likes of Antony Hagerty, Nick Cave and U2.

31/08/08, Beetlejuice (1988), C9, 1.00AM - It's Beetlejuice, man!

31/08/08, The Home Song Stories (2007), SBS, 9.10PM - One of the advantages of the SBS network being involved in the film funding business is that the movies they help fund end up on free-to-air television within a year of being released at the cinema. I wasn't sold on the film as a whole, but Joan Chen was fabulous.

02/09/08, Maléfique (2002), SBS, 12.40AM - Normally I wouldn't have looked twice at this, but French horror is becoming so big and popular these days (Ils, Inside, etc) that I thought it was worth a mention. Anybody seen it?

02/09/08, Suzie Gold (2004), C9, 12:00PM - As "ethnic comedies" go I'm not much of a fan, but I remember hearing good things about this one, which stars Summer Phoenix.

03/09/08, Sugarland Express (1974), ABC1, 1.25AM - Making a surprise appearance on ABC1 is Steve Spielberg's first American theatrical release (Duel, his first film, was a TV movie over there). It stars Goldie Hawn and won the Best Screenplay prize at Cannes.

6 comments:

J.D. said...

The Incredibles really is their best. If they ever top it, seriously, I'll probably explode. WALL•E came very close, though.

Kamikaze Camel said...

I have a big soft spot for Toy Story 2 actually. Perhaps the perfect "kids movie".

leah said...

kam, raising my hand with you for kathleen in 'romancing the stone', possibly the best feel-good adventure romance of all time!

i can't decide which pixar gem i love the most, but i'd put 'finding nemo' in the pantheon of great pixars (we haven't seen WALL-E yet). i appreciate pixar for creating stories that work on both child and adult levels, bless them. the number of 'family' movies i've seen that just make me want to scratch my eyes out...ugh

Leonardo D'Cato said...

Black Xmas was horrible. I couldn't believe I even rented it. It must have been a slow weekend. Prom Night is around the same alley too.

Adam said...

Black Xmas might be one of the worst films I've ever seen, and not just because the original is such a classic. A jaundiced cannibal psycho and his daughter/sister stabbing indiscernible girls in their eye sockets. And that even makes it sound much better than it is.

richardwatts said...

Yeah, I've seen Malefique and though occasionally atmospheric, it's not very good. Imagine H.P. Lovecraft writing the screenplay for The Shawshank Redemption and you have a better imagination than the people who made this film...