Wednesday, August 20, 2008

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 21/08/08

Baby Mama - Upon viewing the trailer for this movie, at Mamma Mia! I believe, it struck me as the perfect DVD movie. I'm sure it's a fine solid entertaining little comedy, but doesn't look special enough to warrant a trip to the cinema. Although, I did see Prom Night earlier this year, so clearly I'm not that selective.

The Edge of Love - Keira Knightley and Sienna Miller star as best friend and lover, respectively, of poet Dylan Thomas. Together they laugh, they sing, they love, they shares vaguely bisexual looks of longing (I assume). Directed by John Maybury who made a splash with Love is the Devil. He also made The Jacket. Yes, The Jacket. I'm not sure how that fits in either.

Persepolis - Yes, this Academy Award-nominated French flick is only just getting a release here. I can't explain it either, especially considering French films routinely open here before they do in America. Really, it's quite pathetic. I'm skipping it purely out of disgust although, much like the delayed Painted Veil or The Savages, I'm sure it'll still be a big hit on the Aussie arthouse circuit. Things will never change.

Son of a Lion - A new Australian drama, filmed on location in the border region (and apparent Osama Bin Laden hideout territory) of Pakistan. It is about a boy who wishes to attend school, but whose father wants him to follow him in the family gun-making business. Has gotten pretty good write-ups from festivals.

Tropic Thunder - I don't think so.

DVD Releases for the Week 21/08/08

Battlestar Galactica: Razor - Yes, I will get around to watching this series eventually. Just not right now.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - Yet another Apatow comedy, except this one didn't look anywhere near as painful as Step Brothers or Drillbit Taylor. I quite liked it, but it was certainly no 40-Year-Old Virgin, I think we can all agree on that.

Global Haywire - AFI-nominated documentary that is a mix of live action, still work and animation from Bruce Petty.

Grace is Gone - Single handily proves that the music branch of the Academy isn't as in love with Clint Eastwood as the directors branch and the Academy at large. Still, this John Cusack Iraq drama looks deathly dull, no wonder it's getting a direct-to-DVD release.

In the Shadow of the Moon - I'm actually quote interesting in catching up with this award-winning doco about the history of American space travel. The film's IMDb message board is a veritable feast of ridiculous.

Never Back Down - I don't remember this fighting flick being released in cinemas, but IMDb tells me it was, so... well... there ya go!

Things We Lost in the Fire - Susanne Bier directed this Halle Berry and Benicio Del Toro drama.

We Own the Night - James Grey directs this film about nightclubs in the 1980s and the cops who tried to weed them out. There was a time when I wanted to see this movie a lot, but that time has passed although I will still probably check it out.

Also, the second season of Dexter arrives on DVD today. I can't stress it enough how much you need to be watching this fantastic series. You really must. I originally purchased the first season on DVD to watch over a few weeks, but ended up finishing it in just over two days (with severe detriment to my sleeping patterns). I've already seen the second season - I'm a bad person that way - but it was great so I'll probably buy it anyway at some point.

TV Screenings for the Week 21/08/08
Notable TV screenings, almost for my own benefit that anyone else! I am going off of the green guide from The Age in Victoria, so blame them for any changes/incorrect details/etc. Obviously ignores Foxtel
~Date, Title, Channel, Time~

22/08/08, The Caterpillar Wish (2006), C9, 9.30PM - A moderately pleasing Aussie drama from a couple of years back. Somehow Susie Porter beat Deborra-Lee Furness to the Best Supporting Actress AFI Award.

23/08/08, The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), C9, 2.00PM - Everytime I read that Sir Ridley Scott is planning on making his own film of Robin Hood I can't help but come back to this Oscar-winning triumph. I L-O-V-E this movie. How can anyone not, really? It's pretty amazing. Stars Errol Flynn as Robin Hood, Olivia de Havilland as Maid Marian and Claude Rains as Prince John. Seek this movie out, folks!

23/08/08, The Empire Strikes Back (1980), C10, 11.00PM - Many people say this is the best of the Star Wars franchise, but I honestly don't remember any of it. Maybe I should reacquaint myself.

24/08/08, The Lost Boys (1987), C9, 1.45AM - I've never actually seen this horror comedy flick from 1987 so I have to remember to set the DVR.

24/08/08, Look Both Ways (2005), SBS, 9.05PM - I've wanted to rewatch this AFI Award-winning flick for a long time, but it kept hovering around the #20 mark on my Quickflix queue, so I really want to remember to DVR this Sunday night screening (I'll be watching the Olympics closing ceremony at the same time). I adored this movie last time I saw it and totally deserved those awards it won. All you international readers should really try and seek this one out. There isn't a heroin addict in sight! It follows the lives a small group of people in Adelaide as their lives intersect over the course of the hottest weekend on record. It's really really great and better than most of the American films people will automatically pick up from the DVD store on a Friday night.

25/08/08, Born to be Bad (1950), ABC1, 1.00AM - Nicholas Ray-directed movie starring Joan Fontaine. Sounds interesting from the director of one of my all time favourites, Rebel Without a Cause.

25/08/08, March of the Penguins (2006), C9, 7.30PM - I never actually saw this Oscar winner (for Best Documentary) so maybe I should?

26/08/08, The House of Seven Corpses (1973), ABC1, 12.25AM - 1970s British horror is usually quite dire, and this has an IMDb rating of 2.9/10 so I don't see why it should be any different, but I always like seeing obscure movies like these show up on TV so I thought I'd give it a shout out.

27/08/08, Morning Glory (1933), ABC1, 1.35AM - Katherine Hepburn won her first of four Academy Awards for this flick so I'm gonna try and check it out!

27/08/08, NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind (1984), SBS, 10.05PM - For JD's sake I'm going to try my hardest to finally watch this Miyazaki film. Does it matter that it's the dubbed version?

9 comments:

FranklinBluth said...

Baby Mama = Tina Fey = 30 Rock & Mean Girls = I am THERE!

Perfect DVD movie my arse, what is wrong with you!?

adam k. said...

I saw Edge of Love in London. It was very good, but ultimately proved forgettable in that I never think about it anymore. Not sure what I think of it in retrospect. It just seemed to be trying SO hard to move me and make me love it, while managing only moderate success on both counts. I guess I just didn't connect to it the way some might. Keira's very good in it, though, give or take the bizarre accent she falls in and out of. It may have been intentional for the character, but it sure was distracting.

Might wanna fix your Persepolis typo. Right now, you have it rhyming with Metropolis (like, moreso than it should).

Yay for conceding that you'll eventually watch Battlestar! It's SO amazing. You might want to check it out in time to catch up before the final 10 episodes air in January. But just the fact that you're planning to do it at all makes me smile.

And yes, Empire IS the best Star Wars film, and yes, you should watch it.

adam k. said...

Oh yeah and I meant to say, Lost Boys totally scared and aroused me when I'd catch it on TV as a teenager. Quality 80s flick, that one.

Paul Martin said...

Glenn, you must see Persepolis. It's a damn good film, very original, deep, and very entertaining. It's everything that Australian films could be but aren't. Don't miss it.

leah said...

kam, you've never seen 'the lost boys'?! good lord, man, how can you a) live with yourself, and b) laugh at any choice mullets without first checkin' out the do's on 'the boys'! (they should have released it down here in our neck of the woods as 'the lost bogans')

J.D. said...

Yay, NausicaƤ!

For Ghibli/Miyazaki movies, I break my own rule for watching foreign language films in their original language because the dubs for them are always incredibly awesome. Uma voices the villain! UMA!

Also, Baby Mama is more of a DVD movie. It's less funny than it ought to be, but it's still good and Amy and Tina are great.

Syms Covington said...

If you don't watch Son of a Lion, I will punch you in the ovary.

In other news, Empire is the best Geurre Stellare film, and something else.

Syms Covington said...

Empire actually supercedes its genre IMO, and I am no Star Wars apologist.

I think I misspelled a word above, apologies.

RJ said...

I kind of . . . liked The Jacket.