Thursday, August 14, 2008

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 14/08/08

Redbelt - Written and directed by David Mamet, Redbelt stars Stale Popcorn favourite Chiwetel Ejiofor and, er, Tim Allen. Yeah, Stale Popcorn doesn't quite endorse him.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - How awful does this movie look? Answer: A lot. Perhaps it's just the incredibly cheap computer game visual effects or the fact that the people doing the voices just all sound wrong, but this really does look like the bottom of the barrel for the Star Wars franchise. No, really. At least they didn't get Hayden Christensen to voice Anakin. If anybody's voice is not suited to animation, it is his!

The Strangers - I was surprised to discover that I don't have a tag for this movie, despite obviously talking about it heaps. Can't wait to catch this fright flick that stars Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman.

Taken - Luc Besson produces this thriller starring Liam Neeson and Famke Jannsen (FAMKE!!!) Was anybody else really confused by the trailer when Neeson's character did that whole "they're going to take you" and thought he was the villain? But then he turns around and tries to hunt them down or whatever. Whatever, indeed. Considering the Luc Besson connection, is it odd that the poster to the right looks a lot like this poster for Besson's own La Femme Nikita, even down to the vertical title and the setup of the image. And, no, this doesn't make the film any more interesting.

The Visitor - I was very big fan of Thomas McCarthy's first effort, The Station Agent, so I'll definitely try and catch his latest, which stars "that guy!" extraordinaire Richard Jenkins.

By the way, can I just say that I love the fact if when you click of The Visitor's IMDb profile the first two images that appear are of the transcendent Patricia Clarkson, even though she doesn't appear in the movie. We love Patricia Clarkson, don't we.



Where in the World is Osama Bin Laden? - Perhaps they should've searched the cinemas showing this movie because it's been a big flop in America and considering the smashing it's been getting from critics I can't imagine it'll do much better down here.

Zombie Strippers! - Two things I can't help but think of when I saw this title was being released. 1) Who decided on the "!" for the title, cause it's genius. 2) Will it gross more than Where in the World is Osama Bin Laden? Perhaps.

DVD Releases for the Week 14/08/08

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - Sidney Lumet directs Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke and Marisa Tomei in this heist drama.

Mama's Boy - Why bother?

Lars and the Real Girl - I gotta tell ya, I was incredibly surprised to see the Australian DVD cover for this indie romantic comedy of sorts, which you can see to your left. Where the theatrical poster and other international covers for the DVD conceal the fact that "Lars" is in love with a doll by putting her in a box, the Aussie edition features the doll right out there on the cover. Still doesn't make me want to see it any more though.

Sleeping Dogs Lie - Nope, I've never heard of it either. Not by this or it's American title, Stay.

Teeth - I actually forgot to mention this carnivorous vagina movie last week. Notice how I just said it and didn't even flinch. Lovely.

There Will Be Blood - In more DVD artwork news (lol), it's nice to report that Paul Thomas Anderson's Oscar-winner has gotten two superior case designs, which erases the disappointment of that dullard theatrical poster. The design to the right is actually a slight reworking of an international poster, so I'm not sure why they couldn't use it elsewhere.

XXY - LucĂ­a Puenzo's film directorial debut.

8 comments:

Adem With An E said...

I think I am going to go see The Strangers tonight. I'll give you a hoy if this goes ahead...

leah said...

i can't wait for 'the visitor', 'the station agent' is hands-down one of my fave films.

(meanwhile, 'the strangers' has mysteriously vanished from the nz release schedule...very strange indeed)

Syms Covington said...

I thought XXY might be a prequel to XXX with Vin Diesel.

Kamikaze Camel said...

if only...

Anonymous said...

Famkkkkkkeeeee...I want to see Taken so bad but it doesn't come out until 2009 in the US

Catherine said...

I've already seen The Visitor twice in the cinema. One of my top 3 of the year, by far.

I love Tom McCarthy like crazy. The first time I saw The Visitor, he was there for a Q&A and I kind of attacked him in the lobby afterwards to shake his hand and tell him how much I love his films.

John P said...

Tim Allen is surprisingly adept at delivering Mamet dialogue... The film, overall, though is not the writer/director's strongest work.

Joel said...

Despite what you think of any film involving blow-up dolls, you actually really really have to see Lars and the Real Girl. I'm surprised you haven't... thats if i've understood correctly that you haven't.

The film is of a different tone to a cheap comedy, and isn't really a comedy at all. It's actually a quite moving drama.

Anyways, apologies if i've misread your post. Otherwise - watch it