Wednesday, August 6, 2008

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 07/08/08

College Road Trip - Martin Lawrence and The Girl Whose Name Is A Made Up Adjective star in this so-called comedy about a family trip to visit colleges. Yawn. I'm surprised they're even bothering giving this movie a release considering how much it's obviously going to only make about $4.50.

Female Agents - Sometimes I wish the people who routinely go and see these middling French movies would pause at the box office and realise France isn't the only country that makes quality foreign cinema. Although, to be fair, I don't think a lot of cinema chains have even realised that so...

Pineapple Express - I guess it was only a matter of time before a David Gordon Green movie finally got a cinema release down here, it figures that it should be the stoner comedy starring Seth Rogen and James Franco (we like him, don't we?!) I must say the ads for this movie are really great and use M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes" really effectively. Franco's "I'm in the dumpster already" cracks me up every time.

Stop-Loss - I think one's enjoyment (if that is the right word) of this movie, the first for Kimberley Pierce since 1998's Boys Don't Cry, highly depends on your ability to be able to listen to strong southern American accents for two hours. Stars Ryan Phillippe, Channing Tatum, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and "our Abbie Cornish".

You, The Living - Swedish director Roy Andersson returns for the first time since 2000's Songs from the Second Floor with this film.

DVD Releases for the Week 07/08/08

Be Kind Rewind - I may actually try and see Michel Gondry's ode to VHS Be Kind Rewind now that it's available on DVD. I knew I would never be able to get past the quite blatantly obvious plot holes if I saw it at the cinema. At least if I sit there nitpicking it now and grimacing at Jack Black's showboating then there won't be anyone around to hear me.

Irina Palm - Marianne Faithful. I think I may just go listen to "Why'd Ya Do It?" a few times instead.

Juno - I have not been one to jump on the "Juno is stupid" bandwagon since it's Oscar win, like so many others seem to have done, but then I was never on the "Juno is the great thing ever omg home skillet" bandwagon either.

Reservation Road - You know who I felt sorry for during the whole debacle that was this film by Terry George? Not George, not Mark Ruffalo, Joaquin Phoenix or Jennifer Connolly. No, it was Mira Sorvino. I was really hoping this would become a successful little film that would lead to her getting more work. Alas, it did not and since making it the only project of note she's worked on is an episode of House. Ugh.

Semi-Pro - No.

Starship Troopers 3: Marauder - Just click here and see the only reason this movie was worth seeing in the first place.

Vantage Point - Every time somebody evokes Akira Kurosawa's Rashômon in relation to this film a little bit of cinema soul dies.

2 comments:

leah said...

i just have one very urgent question: why does australia get the 'pinapple' this week and i have to wait till OCTOBER? wah, wah, wah, not fair! ok, tanty over, but i'm still shocked and appalled. i want my long-haired, stoned out of his gourd james franco now!

Paul Martin said...

France isn't the only country that makes quality foreign cinema

But Glenn, most French films that come here are not quality cinema. 90% of them are trashy with plots not worthy of Hollywood.

What a pity Green's wonderful Snow Angels (MIFF, 2007) didn't get a release. By all accounts, this latest effort is woeful.

Juno is not stupid. Just contrived and overdone. (I'm so over quirky indie dysfunctional family films, just like I'm over Australian coming-of-age flicks).