Thursday, June 19, 2008

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 19/06/08

Don't Mess With the Zohan - Adam Sandler has a new movie out, I have another reason to not go to the cinema this week.

Hope - Aussie documentary.

Mongol - The Academy Award-nominated film by Sergie Bodrov and the first in a proposed trilogy about Genghis Khan. Shaping up to be one of the big foreign language hits of the year.

My Brother Is An Only Child - Acclaimed and award-winning film from Italy.

Unfinished Sky - An Australian remake of the 1998 Dutch film The Polish Bride, this time directed by Peter Duncan (Children of the Revolution) and starring William McInnes and in the same role she played in the original Monic Hendrickx. I was looking forward to this movie until I actually saw clips from it and... well, I'm not sure why so many Australian filmmakers think it's the "cool" thing to do to not make their movies look nice. Take last year's Noise for example - the cinematography on that was worldclass. This movie, however, just looks kinda cheap. I hope I'm just seeing things that aren't there and that it's really a gorgeous movie. Oh well.

DVD Releases for the Week 19/06/08

Alvin and the Chipmunks - It hurts that this made, like, eight times what Speed Racer did. Kids these day... :p

August Rush - I got nothin'.

Definitely, Maybe - When the lights came on after my session of this movie I asked by friends what time it was because I had no idea the movie was so long. Turned out it was under two hours, it just felt like five. Strange. It... wasn't worth it, to be honest. Also, it turns out I was completely wrong about the plot of the movie! Hah. Also, I found it amusing the Nirvana seemed to be this movie's band-of-choice (I know, right?!) yet they stole the title from Oasis.

Margot at the Wedding - I proved to be in the minority on this flick by Noah Baumbach and starring Nicole Kidman. I rather liked it. A lot. Go figure.

The Mist - Yada Yada horror movie yada yaha Stephen King.

Rendition - It's hard to believe that Meryl Streep, Jake Gyllenhaal, Reese Witherspoon and Alan Arkin made a film and nobody cared. But cared they did not and here it is on DVD after a cinema release that I barely remember.


Anonymous said...

hey there- first of all its my first time commenting on your blog and i just wanted to let you know that you have faithful readers from Israel.

now' regarding the mist- do not' i repeat don not miss this move- its anything but yadaa' yadaa. its a good and solid movie with great acting-and i promise you an experience that will hunt you long after the movie ends...
watch it!

Joel said...

Seems someone beat me to it. I was going to suggest checking out The Mist too... Its a great film, and Marcia Gay Harden is one of the best screen villains ive seen in sometime.

Glenn said...

Anon from Israel, thanks for piping up! Always welcome more commenters.

In regards to The Mist... I might catch it if I'm in the mood. :)

Dame James Henry said...

Since I have a rather dark sense of humor, I didn't mind the genuinely awful characters in Margot at the Wedding- in fact I rather enjoyed it. I thought they were pretty damn funny(especially Kidman), but I can see why others hated it.

patrick said...

Adam Sandler is classic in his own way, though he tends to do his best work when he stays casual, not trying too hard to be funny or deep, etc.