Thursday, June 12, 2008

Katherine Heigl is Amazing

Story time!

I've loved Katherine Heigl since her days as Izzie #1 on Roswell (I'm a Roswell geek, as you should know) and when she was in the awesomeness that was Bride of Chucky. She was great for a while on Grey's Anatomy as Issie #2. Even though I don't watch that show anymore - a great deal because of Heigl's storyline being one of the worst jumping-the-shark moments I've ever witnessed in my time - she was still kicking goals on the big screen in movies like Knocked Up and 27 Dresses. Not to mention her quote about Knocked Up being "a little sexist", something that feels even more appropriate in the light of all those repulsively misogynistic Sex and the City reviews (it's perfectly okay for slobby "boys" boys to act the way they do and get the girl in the end, but have women sit around talking about sex while wearing expensive designer clothes and it's offensively repugnant).

Yet, Heigl still finds time to be even more amazing than previously thought. Take, for instance, the news today that she has eliminated herself from Emmy consideration - remember, she won last year - because of, and I'm paraphrasing here, how shit her storyline became.

"I did not feel that I was given the material this season to warrant an Emmy nomination and in an effort to maintain the integrity of the academy organization, I withdrew my name from contention."

Okay, so that bit about the "integrity" of the Emmy Academy is clearly a bit of a lark (since they don't have any in the first place), but I'm shocked that she - or anyone for that matter - would come out and blast the show that gave her her fame to the majority of her fanbase (we true fans know our favourite Izzie was the awkwardly hot alien from Roswell) as not having "given (her) the material" to be worthy of a nomination. If only other awards contenders were that candid. Can you imagine Jamie Foxx saying "No, no, don't nominate me for Collateral in Best Supporting Actor. I am actually the co-lead"? Didn't think so.

"In addition, I did not want to potentially take away an opportunity from an actress who was given such materials," Heigl continued, turning the knife in the gullet of "Grey's" Executive Producer Shonda Rhimes.

Seriously. She's so right! I don't know what stupid-arsed storylines they came up with this season, but that Izzie/George/Callie storyline was atrocious. How come a character (that'd be Izzie) could go from grieving about "the love of her life" (that'd be Denny) to having an adultrous affair with her apparently new "love of her life" (that'd be George) in a few brief weeks.


And to further prove my point, here is a clip of Katherine on Letterman talking about being molested by puppets - NO JOKE!


adam k. said...

That clip was funny. I haven't seen her in all that much, but I do like her a lot. I thought she was very good in Knocked Up, and in a normal year would've coasted to a golden globe nom for that.

She definitely seems poised for a Charlize Theron-type dramatic breakthough... even though she's already far more high profile (at least in the TV world) than Theron was before. She's always reminded me of Theron... the looks and voice are muy similar.

I think I like her better though in that she's earthier and less pretentious. She doesn't seem to care all that much about winning an oscar and making her career that much bigger. I guess she HAS won an Emmy and is already a big film star, so there's not that much an oscar would really do. So she's probably not even gunning for that. Though I'd like to see her branch out from the romantic comedies a bit.

I also like that she's refreshingly normal-sized and non-anorexic-looking. She clearly gets the fact - lost on so many actresses - that no one is going to shun a talented, bankable, megawatt star just because she doesn't look like a rail.

She's also channeling a bit of Goldie Hawn in that first photo. Cute.

adam k. said...

And what stones for taking herself out of Emmy consideration and then taking a shot at the show as justification. Me likey.

Rural Juror said...

Eh . . she disses everything she does after the fact. It's kind of trashy

Dame James Henry said...

I admit that I love her massive balls in taking her name out of the race, but I just hope that she doesn't bite the hand that feeds her and completely sever her ties. Imagine what would happen if her next films bomb and she has to go crawling back to TV. Who's going to want to work with her if she's just going to bad mouth you later on?

Anyway, who's looking forward in 10-15 years to the TV movie depicting all the behind the scenes drama with Gray's Anatomy? It started off so normal, now there's something juicy from that set every week.

Barry said...

Well her Izzie was liquored up quite a lot during that scene in Grey's Anatomy. And plus, George is her best friend on that show.

Her Emmy win was well deserved and even if people think her storyline was crap (I am not one of them), she makes something out of it. She is constantly the best performer on that show every week.

Glenn said...

Well, if she submitted the episode that I think she submitted then she definitely deserved the Emmy.

Barry said...

What episode would that be?

Adem With An E said...

I'm guessing the winning episode was the finale of Season 2, when Denny passed??

The woman is a goddess. Can she sing? I hope so. She needs to make an album as well so she can spit at the producers after it's done well/not done well.

Anonymous said...

I love that she's not just her publicist's mouthpiece, and I hate to bring up the "OMG sexism!!!" card but if she was a man, everyone would be admiring her balls. Her storyline in Grey's did, indeed, totally suck. That said, I wish she wouldn't insult EVERYTHING she's involved with.