Wednesday, June 25, 2008

G.I. Joe Confuses Me

Look, I was never a G.I. Joe kid growing up. I'm fairly sure they were "around", but I don't think anybody I knew was into them. Maybe they're a predominantly American thing? I don't know. Nevertheless, they're making a G.I. Joe movie and they have released a poster for the whole affair featuring what I thought was the star of the movie, Channing Tatum.

The confusion comes from the fact that this poster states Tatum's character name as "Duke", just like the film's IMDb profile. There isn't one person in the film's credit called "Joe"! Am I missing something here that is blatantly apparent to anyone who's ever played with a G.I. Joe doll? And if I'm going completely off the track here, how come whenever people in TV and movies play with G.I. Joe dolls are they called "G.I. Joe" and not "Duke" or whatever is going on here.

Thank god for James Cameron though. If it weren't for his filming of Avatar going overboard the incredibly delicious Aussie actor Sam Worthington (Somersault, Macbeth, Rogue) would have taken the role and, well, I'd rather he not even if, as some of the Tatum casting detractors say, Worthington would have been better suited to the role. Oh well. Let's just look at him for a moment.



paul79 said...

The original toy was a large doll named "Joe" and he was a solider "G.I.".

In the 80s the name G.I.Joe became the brand name for the smaller action figure range, all of which had code names (like Duke). These toys had a story in cartoons and comics and the new movie is based on those figures/fiction.

(These GI Joe toys were memorably featured in "The Boy Who Could Fly")

Kamikaze Camel said...

Thanks. Still doesn't make me want to see the movie though.