Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Entertainment Weekly's Top 25 Movie Posters of the Last 25 Years

Can someone explain to me why Entertainment Weekly are doing these countdown thingies? Is the magazine itself 25 years old? Nevertheless, I love a list - who doesn't? - and while some of the choices are dubious (why isn't The Golden Girls on the top 25 television theme songs?) just like every other list, I thought I'd take a look at their top 25 movie posters of the past 25 years.


[click to enlarge]

Almost Famous - I like this design, but it just kind of annoys me that it has Kate Hudson on it, ya know?

Amelie - Another poster I quite like because it acts as a big introduction to this completely unknown character. And not in the way that, for instance, animated films have individual posters for each character because even before seeing the movie you can tell Angelina Jolie plays a tough talking fighter in Kung-Fu Panda. Here there's still mystery, but you can totally see her personality shining through. I do, however, prefer this version for no disconcernable reason whatsoever.

American Beauty - Duh. The whole rose motif worked a treat when it came to this movie - yet another victim of the Best Picture Oscar curse.

Back to the Future - The best thing about this poster is that it set up the nifty design that was continued with part 2 and part 3.

Batman - True story. On some of the sights that have linked my 100 poster countdown commented on the lack of any poster for the original Star Wars movie. Because, ya know, it's a classic movie so naturally it's poster is a classic too? Okay, it sort of is a classic, but I don't care for it as I wrote multiple times because that idea that cramming everything onto the poster is not one I respond to. The only Star Wars poster that I considered for the poster (apart from the teaser for Episode I) was this simple and clean design. I don't need to see every character known to man shoved onto one poster. All this is a long way of saying, I much prefer this simple design for Batman, but it's not enough to make it one of the best. Yikes, I ramble, huh?

The Breakfast Club - #95 on my 100 Greatest Movie Poster countdown.

Brokeback Mountain - Has become iconic so it's inclusion is warrented.

The Devil Wears Prada - A teaser poster so good that they just made it the final version. Speaks volumes, no?

Empire of the Sun - I love the design on this one, don't you? JD wrote about it a bit better than I could so just read that.

Fight Club - I love the idea of the soap bar being the title. I've mentioned many times that I like when posters do that sort of thing. The rest of the poster is fairly standard though, isn't it?

Flashdance - The best thing about this poster is the blue scribble. Feels very '80s freestyle, no? Other than that I don't get what makes this one of the best.

Forrest Gump - Considering the type of amazing concepts they could have come up with for marketting Forrest Gump this design is disappointing. It's not bad, it's just... there.

The 40-Year-Old Virgin - Grammatically incorrect titling besides, this poster is a legitimate classic. Of course with something as instantly brilliant as this design, it has already been copied and copied again. None will ever beat the tragicomic effect achieved by this poster though.

The Hunt for Red October - A striking design for sure. Has a dark menacing tone to it that I really like.

Jungle Fever - Apart from the four (one above, three below) designs that also appeared on my countdown, this is my favourite design that EW listed. Such a bold and fantastic design, isn't it? Such vivid eye-popping colours. I must've been blind when i skipped passed this design, to be honest. What was I thinking?

Lost in America - Aah, back in the '80s when these sort of cartoony posters were all the rage. It's got a good joke so it works better than many others of it's ilk.

Memento - A really great design that plays off the central idea of the film. Very nicely done.

Moonstruck - Obviously I love design. I ranked it the third greatest movie poster of all time. My top two were released before 1983 so I'm super stoked that my favourite film poster of the last 25 made it onto their list. Very happy, indeed.

Pulp Fiction - Likewise, it ranked #27.

The Royal Tenenbaums - Nicely crafted, full of personality. I like what they did with the credit block, but I wish they'd done something with the above the title credits as they don't fit at all with the design.

Showgirls - As much as I love this poster as being a hilarious iconic piece of magic, I actually think it's perhaps too... tame? This poster is part of the reason why I think Showgirls was meant to be a comedy all along. I mean, they could've easily done something that was actually erotic, like, say, The Center of the World, but they didn't. They went for this campy showy design.

The Silence of the Lambs - #34 greatest poster of all time, according to me.

Stop Making Sense - Am I missing something here?

Swingers - Interesting that a movie of this kind should use such a big colour, but I like that they did and the way they did the title is great. A bit more imaginative than these sort of movies usually get.

The Terminator - Oddly, my favourite part of this poster (I prefer the poster for Terminator 2: Judgement Day, in my eyes it's the more epic of the two) is the completely superfluous red stripes behind Schwarzenegger's pose. They're so '80s!

And that's that, really.

4 comments:

viennarain said...

They're making lists of the 1000 best movies, tv shows, albums, etc., of the past 25 years because EW is celebrating its 1000th issue.

Anonymous said...

Why is Swingers the only one you skipped?

Drew said...

Ha. Never noticed the omitted hyphen in 40-Year-Old Virgin.

Glenn said...

Anon, I... don't know. Just a mistake.

Viennarain, thanks for the info. I didn't care enough to find out for myself obviously :)

Drew, I noticed it the moment they released the poster and it still bugs me to this very day.