Wednesday, June 4, 2008

100 Greatest Movie Posters: #3 - Moonstruck

Moonstruck (1987)
Directed by Norman Jewison
Unknown Designer
Film Nationality - USA
Poster Nationality - USA

[click to enlarge]

A few places back I spoke about the poster for Charlie Chaplin's City Lights and how I thought it was the second most romantic poster on the list. Say hello to the first.

Can't you just feel the love?

The look on Cher's face on this poster for Oscar-winning Moonstruck is just so joyous and happy and in love. The kicky pose with her arms outstretched adds more, so to does even that little flirt of a skirt. But it's the moon that makes it stand out. It's both thematically appropriate, and aesthetically smart.

Every little detail - I haven't mentioned the skyline or the perfect use of font - just joins together to create a poster that really overflows with romance. If you've ever experienced the feeling then you know sometimes you can't keep it inside and you just want to let everyone know.

I am in love with this poster and I want to let everyone know! And to just prove how easy it is to completely ruin a great poster, here is the DVD art for the "Deluxe Edition" of Moonstruck. ugh. I'm so glad Nicolas Cage wasn't a big star back in 1987.


leah said...

it's so rare that a movie poster both captures and uses the essence of the film's main character in such a loving, creative way to make you think, 'wow, i want me some 'moonstruck'! beautifully done.

Neel Mehta said...

No comment on Moonstruck, but you have some competition.

Jeff McMahon said...

I've never liked Cher more than in that poster.

Kamikaze Camel said...

Neel, I had seen that page before while I was researching. Needless to say, mine is far better. :)

qnz#1blogger said...

Lolz, yea they messed it up