Thursday, May 22, 2008

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 22/05/08

Goal! II: Living the Dream - The sequel to, obviously, Goal! The title's punctuation gives me a headache.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - I haven't been particularly enthuses about this movie from it's announcement a while back. The Indiana Jones franchise isn't exactly one that I love like many others. I like them well enough - although I don't really remember The Temple of Doom much - and I'm apparently seeing this tomorrow night. At least it's got Shia and Cate to keep me entertained.

BTW, I imagine the crystal skull of the title is a little less camp than the one Kylie Minogue has been straddling during her KylieX 2008 concerts lately whilst performing her Visage-sampling track "Like a Drug".

Love in the Time of Cholera - How bad does this movie look? Answer: Very. That fake old people makeup is embarrassing!

War/Dance - An Oscar-nominated documentary about African refugees competing in a dance competition. It's like Step Up 2 Uganda!

DVD Releases for the Week 22/05/08

2 Days in Paris - Julie Delpy and Woody Allen Adam Goldberg star in Delpy's own film about two people walking around Paris... wait a minute... that sounds familiar!

Cloverfield - I'm not sure if I spoke about this movie or not. I liked it very much, but I think the aesthetic it lived itself by was it's downfall. Not that I don't like the shaky handheld cam effect (The Blair Witch Project is still the scariest movie I've ever seen), but this movie looked immaculate. And then there's the sound design, which is stunningly good (you can hear things in individual speakers!) Therein lies the problem. I'm fairly sure those digital handycams can capture such perfect sound. It kinda frustrated me. But, nevertheless, the movie was a frantically tense 80 minutes. It had Janis Ian! B

Enchanted - One of the worst examples of third act collapse you're ever likely to see. Not that the third act was film-destroying, but damn! The first two were so good and lovely and Amy Adams was totally amazing and then... wow. So bad. And you know who I blame? The bloody COSTUME DESIGNER! Seriously! Why did they make A FAIRYTALE PRINCESS(!!) show up at the ball wearing a plain boring regular dress?! Ugh. So frustrating.

Funny story, I noticed the poster for Enchanted had the same sort of setup as a poster I have for the awesome Sympathy for Lady Vengeance that I have stored on my computer (like so many other pointless things). So, naturally, I photoshopped the two together. Now this a movie that wouldn't have a disappointing third act: Instead of Susan Sarandon's weird over-yet-also-underwrought evil queen character, the true villain turns out to be Lady Vengeance in her leather jacket and waving a 9mm. Poor Gisele never saw that ruthless bitch coming!


Lust, Caution - Ang Lee's R18+ rated Chinese sex-and-espionage flick.

Orchestra Seats - For some reason Sydney Pollack is in this French flick. Stars Cecile de France (what did I say about her just last week?)

Sweet Land - I've wanted to see this little flick for aaages. It's - for some reason or another - going by the title Sweet Land - A Love Story, in case people were confused by the storyline on the back of the box, I presume (feisty mail-order brides and all).

3 comments:

J.D. said...

I believe they were trying to be "ironic" -- it's a costume ball and everyone else is in clothes that would be more likely to appear in Andalasia than of New York, and she appears in a boring regular dress because for her, that IS a costume!

Or something.

Kamikaze Camel said...

But they could've at least put her in a pretty regular dress instead of the, as you say, boring dress they had her wear.

HELLO!

Ugh. It just annoyed me. She doesn't even know what a masquerade ball is. She should've shown up and been all "dang! the one time I don't wear pantaloons!" or something something.

J.D. said...

Yeah, they really should've. Her other costumes throughout the movie are so great, then you get to that and you're like "...what?" I mean, where'd their imagination go?