Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Oprah and Tina Show

There was a time several years ago when The Oprah Winfrey Show felt like it was indeed The Oprah and Tina Show. I speak of Oprah's BFFWNGK (Best Friend Forever Who's Not Gayle King) Tina Turner. One of Turner's song's was used ad nauseam throughout the "Wildest Dreams" series, Turner showed up to "help celebrate" Winfrey's birthday by performing multiple times and so on. At that point I had been a fan of her early work with Ike Turner and I thought she had one of the better Bond theme songs ("Goldeneye"), but I was kind of oblivious to most of her solo stuff apart from the admittedly awesome "What's Love Got to Do with It?", the video to which I think I have permanently ingrained into my brain due to repeated viewings as a young impressionable child. Thankfully the hair has yet to be replicated.

It was during this season of Oprah (oh hush you!) during one of Tina Turner's many appearances that I think I cottoned on to what the big deal was. It was during an episode where Oprah made Felicity Huffman's "dream come true" (because celebrities don't have enough good shit in their lives *sigh*) by allowing her to perform backup vocals during a Tina Turner performance. The song was "Better Be Good to Me" from Turner's - as I later discovered - 1984 mindblowing album Private Dancer. It's remained one of my favourite tunes and, outside of maybe "Proud Mary", my favourite Turner track. Those vocals are fierce, y'all (I'm midway through season four of Project Runway so forgive the "fierce"-ness, okay!)

And because I've been on a Tina fix all night, here's the clip to "Better Be Good to Me". It's all incredibly '80s - they loved "concert clips" back then, didn't they? - and that hair is still massive, but... well, the song is massive so it fits, really. I'm not really sure what that dude on stage is doing, though. At one point it looks like he's actually dancing the robot! Enjoy.

Unfortunately, there aren't any clips of the Oprah Show performance featuring Felicity Huffman. So, instead, here's a picture of Felicity and her Desperate Housewives co-star Eva Longoria looking like lesbians! hazaa!

1 comment:

RC said...

it is funny to think of Oprah making celebrity dreams come true.