Wednesday, May 7, 2008

100 Greatest Movie Posters: #22 - Amator

Amator aka Camera Buff
Directed by Krysztof Kieslowski
Poster Designed by Andrzej Krauze
Film Nationality - Poland
Poster Nationality - Poland

Talk about attention grabbing design! The man has a camera lens for a face! In case you didn't quite get that, let me say it again:


I am not exactly a fan of Polish or Czech poster work. I tend to find it is messy and absurd in all the wrong ways, not to even mention they have nothing to do with the movie and just look like grade two art projects. I think there's been one or two on the countdown so far and there's one more to come, but, yeah, generally all the acclaim the posters from those countries get is lost on me.

This one, however, I think is great. It takes the central theme of the movie - cameras etc - and transplants it into a breathtakingly original, daring and amazing poster. I really can't say it enough, but the man has a camera lens for a face. If I didn't know better I'd think Amator (or Camera Buff as it's commonly known in English speaking countries), by legendary director Krysztof Kieslowski, was actually a Peeping Tom style thriller. But, really, what it all comes down to in the end is that the man has a camera lens for a face and that is brilliant.


J.D. said...

That is brilliant, and it just made me realize I really DO love it when people have things as body parts.

...machine gun leg first among them, of course.

Glenn said...

I'm so glad you picked up on that! I was hoping somebody would.

Neel Mehta said...

Looking forward to Robert Rodriguez's remake with Rose McGowan in the lead.

Also looking forward to seeing a Hook poster further up the countdown. ("Dustin Hoffman has a HOOK for a HAND!!!") Or maybe Austin Powers in Goldmember...

Kamikaze Camel said...

Sorry to disappoint, but...