Monday, May 12, 2008

100 Greatest Movie Posters: #19 - Anatomy of a Murder

#19
Anatomy of a Murder (1959)
Directed by Otto Preminger
Poster Designed by Saul Bass
Film Nationality - USA
Poster Nationality - USA



[click to enlarge]

It really takes a poster like Saul Bass's classic design for Otto Preminger's Anatomy of a Murder to realise why I rag on lazy poster design work. Just plonking a movie still onto a poster is (usually) not a poster. It's just an image with some text thrown on it (although, I admit, it does work sometimes). Neither does putting a tiny picture in the corner of a load of white space constitute good work.

As this poster shows, you can be simple, but not boring. I'm not saying that, for instance, Margot at the Wedding's poster should've been awash in yellows and reds, but Bass' poster for Anatomy of a Murder is seen as an all time classic piece of art and you can bet your bottom dollar that if it was an image of star James Stewart on an all white background then it would definitely not be my #19 greatest poster of all time.

4 comments:

JS said...

I might be jumping the gun Glenn but I was wondering what you thought of this poster for Hitchcock's Lifeboat:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm372940032/tt0037017

Kamikaze Camel said...

I like it generally, but that's the DVD artwork. I don't know why they've tried to make it look like an image from the movie though. I mean, the movie is in black and white, and the cover is not.

JS said...

I think it's pretty eerie but have this feeling that it would better fit a movie with a plot that combined that of Titanic and Jaws.

Anyway, thanks for the response as I'm running the idea of analyzing movie posters vs. home video art covers and which would you rather have in your personal library. :)

Glenn said...

Ooh, nice. I love looking at DVD art. Maybe that's another project in the future. ;)

Send me an email if you wanna discuss anything (link is in the sidebar)