Thursday, May 15, 2008

100 Greatest Movie Posters: #18 - Rocketeer

Rocketeer (1991)
Directed by Joe Johnston
Poster Designed by John Mattos
Film Nationality - USA
Poster Nationality - USA

[click to enlarge]

I love me some art deco poster work, don't you?

I find it amusing that I should be posting this poster at a time when Iron Man - of which I am unsure which is the ripoff - rules the box office around the world. One thing is for sure, this poster sure does beat each and ever piece of key art that was produced for Iron Man. There's something truly majestic about this poster. Of course, this was 1991 and superheroes weren't exactly the cinematic version of aphrodisiacs like they are these days. If I had have seen this poster back then (and, you know, if I had an appreciation for all this back when I was six!) I would have wanted to see Rocketeer. It fills me with a sense of wonder that I just don't see from superhero posters anyway - when, really, it should just be part of the parcel.

Also, this is one of those rare moments when the American domestic poster is better than the international work. International work that look eerily like the posters for Iron Man.


Dame James Henry said...

This poster looks very reminiscent of the one for Fritz Lang's Metropolis

Grover said...

I was in high school working at a movie theater when this was released. We had a giant cardboard standee of this poster (which had multiple layers, front to back). I never wanted a promotional item more during my four year employment than I wanted that Rocketeer standee. And that includes the double-sided Batman Returns poster that I actually scored. This design was a bona fide retro masterpiece, in my opinion. One of the security guards (off-duty cop) ended up getting it and giving it to his kid, which I'm sure destroyed it over time.

Stephen Graves said...

I love this poster - I've got a copy hanging on my wall, as a matter of fact. It's pure retro brilliance.

Anonymous said...

unlike iron man though, the poster was probably the best thing about the rocketeer movie