Monday, April 7, 2008

No No No / Yes Yes Yes / etc etc etc

Look, I like the new Duffy single "Mercy" as much as, it would seem (it's been #1 in the UK for a month), everybody else, but even I can tell when something sounds identical to something else. And so I present to you Duffy's "Mercy" with it's chorus chants of "Yes Yes Yes" and juxtapose (wait, is it still juxtaposition if the two things are similar?) against Amy Winehouse's insta-classic "Rebab" with it's familiar chorus chants of, well, of you know what. I know they both have similar aesthetics, but that doesn't mean it's not completely obvious what the Duffy camp were doing.

Duffy - "Mercy"


Amy Winehouse - "Rehab"

2 comments:

woodstock said...

although rehab is classic - i thought duffy is better in general. i'm listening to her album 2/3 times in a row; if i complete a single hearing of winehouse's back to black it's a big deal.

Anonymous said...

You know, I've been looking for someone who agreed with me for a while now and I'm just glad I'm not apparently insane when I thought these two songs sounded identical.