Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I'm Begging!

I got a hold of TLC's greatest hits the other day and it's sort of making me depressed. This clip below is TLC's "Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg" from 1992. I miss this old-school R&B/hip-hop type of music. TLC, Salt 'n' Pepa, Brandy, Princess, Monica, En Vogue, etc. Back when the genre had personality and spirit and song's had more than just a minimalist beat. Back when graffiti was actually cool and when it boomboxes ruled all and you could take music off the radio for 90 minutes of magic. Back when "slow jam" meant something slinky and groovy and sexy and not boring. Back when the genre was actually cross-referenced with dance and house type genres.

I reckon I wouldn't know many of the people on today's charts who make so called "R&B" music. And if I do there's a good chance that it's not good. So many of them are all just so indentikit who sound alike and who seem to use the same producer, which results in songs that all sound alike. And when you don't have a personality and your music has no personality...? Well, that's just dullsville.

Enjoy "Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg" and I just decided to include Salt n Pepa's 1991 hit "Let's Talk About Sex", because it's a classic and y'all know it! The originals and the best.



1 comment:

JS said...

I feel old and out of touch whenever I see TLC's "Waterfalls" playing on MTV Classics. Ouch!