Sunday, April 20, 2008

I Worry For Diane Keaton

Really, I do.

I went to see Prom Night on Saturday night (oh you know I have more to say on that, just wait) and one of the trailers my viewing partner and I saw was for this movie I had never heard of before called Smother. It stars Diane Keaton, Liv Tyler and some guy called Dax Shepard. If you know who he is then you're already doing a better job than I.

Needless to say from the title of this entry, is does not look good!

Take a look for yourself.

Look, I know Diane Keaton can a bit of an acquired taste, but there's no denying her brilliance in a nice hefty chunk of her career. Yet, it boggles the mind that someone can go from giving an Oscar-nominated performance just a few years back in Something's Gotta Give (one of the best rom coms in a while, actually) to making movies like Smother, Man Money and Mama's Boy. The latter of which didn't even get a major theatrical release in America and still hasn't seen the light of day down here.

Looks like Diane will be getting a second Razzie nomination in as many years, after she was nommed for Because I Said So. She lost out to Lindsay Lohan in that battle, but with the Queen Latifah/Katie Holmes co-starrer Mad Money also on her CV this year I think she'll be showing up again on the Razzie rundown. That they have the gaul to throw "Academy-Award Winner" in front of her name in the trailer just makes it all the more painful.

But Keaton isn't exactly the only bad thing about the trailer for Smother. It looks abominable. Truly bottom-of-the-barrel awful. The trailer itself is bad! It shows you every single plot development. And that narrator! That narration is so 1995 VHS. It's the type of voice over that MadTV has been mocking since it's inception.


I'm so glad you liked it! Can I have cake now? SploopsLOL!


olya-khmarenko said...

hey, I agree that Diane made not really GREAT movies lately, but I wouldn't dramatize situation like you. Mad Money is nice, btw. I liked it. You tell me, what movies are worth your praise last couple of years? I mean, Holywood definitely has crisis of genre, weak boring scripts and all this stuff... So what do you want from Keaton? Has she really any choice? Are there so many roles for actresses her age? Everybody can't play a Queen like Helen Mirren. You can tell of course, that better to not be in movies at all than be in bad movies. But as a fan of Diane, I prefer to see her in whatsoever, but better see than not to see at all, LOL

Adem With An E said...

Look forward to your views on Prom Night. Ben and I too went to see it on Saturday and spent most of the movie laughing.

FranklinBluth said...

'Because I said so' is the worst movie I have seen in a very long time. I absolutely HATED IT! I actually experienced physical pain during that god-awful piece of shite.