Saturday, April 12, 2008

How Enigmatic

I, quite bizarrely, woke up this morning with Enigma's "Sadeness (Part I)" stuck in my brain. I don't remember dreaming about cloaked gregorian chanters, but there ya have it! "Sadeness" was a huuuge hit back in 1990/91 from Enigma's (aka Michael Cretu) album MCMXC a.D., which I have lying around my place somewhere along with the followup The Cross of Changes.

Do you guys remember them? Sure, they went to the shitter after the second album and they are solely responsible for those ridiculous albums featuring Gregorian chant versions of U2 and Whitney Houston songs, but for a while there they were quite amazingly bonkers. Below is the clip for "Sadeness (Part I)", which I was very much addicted to "back in the day", partly because it creeped me out and I had no idea what was going on (Hey, I was only five years old!)

Aah, for the days when bizarre songs in foreign languages and instrumentals could top the charts!

5 comments:

Paul Martin said...

I recently pulled this CD out of my collection to play it for the first time in years. It was my favourite album for several years, having been discovered at a pivotal, transformational time in my life. I paid about $80 to import the video of the whole album which has some pretty amazing symbolism. Amazing, as it reflected the changes taking place at the time.

My interpretation of the album, based on the video (which is more than that clip) is that it represents the search for gender equilibrium. Pagan religions were feminine-centric while Christianity is heavily masculine-centric. Real spirituality aims for the balance of both genders, as represented by Excalibur, the sword of Arthur. Arthur had a pagan mother and Christian father (or vice versa), and his mission was to unite both. Of course he failed miserably, based on the current state of affairs. Unfortunately, it's the masculine religions that rule now.

I have all 4 albums, though the first remains my favourite. I don't knock any of them, though.

Kamikaze Camel said...

I had to review their latest one last year and just... aaagh. It was like listening to nothing. Still, the first two are rightly classics.

Considering the whole project of Enigma is keenly focused on religion I'll gladly take your word on the interpretation. Sounds about right.

Paul Martin said...

Don't take my word for it, Glenn. It's just my personal interpretation, based on where I was at in 1992. The first album is way better than any subsequent ones, including the second one, IMO.

rui tavares said...

Do you know the name of the actress that apears in this video clip?

rui tavares said...

Do you know the name of the actress that apears in this video clip?