Tuesday, April 8, 2008


I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-A-T! I mean S-M-A-R-T

I'm currently listening to the new Mariah Carey album E=MC². I am in LOOVE with "Side Effects" (it's amazing amazing amazing and amazing) and very much infatuated with "Migrate", which is very odd because those two songs are the two songs on the album that "feature" somebody else (Young Jeezy and T-Pain respectively) and I've been so anti-"featuring" credited songs lately (it's become incredibly tiresome, no?) "Side Effects" remixes are going to be fuckin' EPIC, I am positive (and there will be remixes whether she releases it as a single or not).

There are a few too many slow jams for my liking, such as "Thanx 4 Nothin", "Love Story" and "Last Kiss". I definitely think on this instance she's definitely stronger on the more dance/r&b cuts. "I'm That Chick" is sort of funky nu-disco and "I'll Be Lovin' U Long Time" is absolutely begging for a killer remix to send it into the stratosphere of brilliance. "Bye Bye" is obviously trying to be this album's "We Belong Together", but it's nowhere near it. It's good and it's the best ballad/slower song on the album, but... yeah, no "We Belong Together" (what is?). She shouldn't release it as the second single though as planned. That should be "Side Effects" to anybody with a brain.

I think E=MC² is, ultimately, a stronger record than Emancipation of Mimi, which actually wasn't as good as the comeback callers would have us believe. That album was a bit too schizophrenic and all over the place and some of the songs, while good, were too generically produced, as if she didn't want to go in too much of a new direction. And while E=MC² isn't a patch on her best work (that's be the Butterfly album from 1997) it is still competently made. The different genres flow much better here than they ever did on Emancipation and the production is more confidently done. B


LexG said...




Kamikaze Camel said...

Why are you here?

Dame James Henry said...

Yay for Mariah! I'm so glad that she's sticking around instead fading into obscurity, which after "Glitter" seemed entirely possible.

Kamikaze Camel said...

Glitter is far from her worst album. And, well, y'all know I love the movie!

Sid said...

Glitter is a good album!

This new one is actually very very good! MIGRATE and SIDE EFFECTS are my faves as well. Especially Side Effects, which is just brilliant - in every which way.

I also love That Chick, Lovin You Long Time and For the Record!

Bye Bye is the next single though and MIGRATE is the one after that I think. It makes sense to release MIGRATE in the summer -- could be a big hit!