Friday, April 4, 2008

100 Greatest Movie Posters: #33 - The Seven Year Itch

#33
The Seven Year Itch (1955)
Directed by Billy Wilder
Unknown Designer
Film Nationality - USA
Poster Nationality - Germany



[click to enlarge]

There are many many different posters for Billy Wilder's The Seven Year Itch and they all have one thing in common: Marilyn Monroe in that white dress. I included two of my favourites below, but my absolute favourite is this German design. Did Andy Warhol take his inspiration from this German poster? Doesn't it feel very Warhol to you? I like this German version much more than the American version. The colours are more vibrant - purples and bright reds as opposed to murky blues and browns - and I think this sort of design aesthetic works better for International function.

I mentioned this poster easlier in the year, actually, when it came to the design for 27 Dresses. While not mirroring the arty look of the Itch design, it did utilise the credits-in-the-dress motif. Maybe I just have a soft spot for posters that actually use the space that they're given to do something interesting.

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps...

No comments: