Monday, April 14, 2008

100 Greatest Movie Posters: #29 - Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid

Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid (2004)
Directed by Dwight H Little
Poster Designed by Bemis Balkind
Film Nationality - USA
Poster Nationality - USA

[click to enlarge]

Oh boy, I feel ridiculous just putting this on here, trust me. Just bare with me, alright!

I've been saying all along that horror movies (even bad ones such as Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid) need a great poster and I'll be damned if this design isn't great! What isn't great about it? It tells you immediately about the film (hello snakes!), it is actually kind of legitimately creepy (imagine a snake with that pattern on it!), but at the same time there's a nudgewinkiness about that I think perfectly suits a movie of this kind; it's a sequel to a preposterous movie that nobody really expected a sequel to.

Plus, I saw this poster when it had a halo effect in a cinema lobby, ya know when you walk from one side to the other and it shimmers? Yeah, and it looked even more awesome. I imagine that if this were the poster for a hokey horror movie from the 1950s, instead of the sequel to freakin' Anaconda, then people all over the Internet would claim it as brilliant, amazing and stunning and it would appear on every "best poster" list known to mankind.

No comments: