Tuesday, April 15, 2008

100 Greatest Movie Posters: #28 - The City

#28
The City (1926)
Directed by Roy William Neill
Unknown Designer
Film Nationality - USA
Poster Nationality - USA



I, unfortunately, don't know anything about Roy William Neill's The City other than what IMDb offers. There doesn't seem to be much information about this 1926 silent film starring Nancy Nash out in the world. It was purely by accident that I even stumbled across this lovely poster for it, too.

I think there's a lot to be said about a movie that can just create romance out of thin air. There are a couple of other posters coming up in the countdown that do the same thing (oddly enough, one of them is another silent movie). This poster just makes me want to take it's hand and go out for a beautifully lit night on the town. I've seen this design idea done many times since, but I never saw it done as charmingly and beautifully as The City. Nash glowing and nestled within the city skyscape. *sigh*

No comments: