Tuesday, April 22, 2008

100 Greatest Movie Posters: #27 - Pulp Fiction

#27
Pulp Fiction (1994)
Directed by Quentin Tarantino
Poster Designed by Indika Entertainment
Film Nationality - USA
Poster Nationality - USA



[click to enlarge]

I don't think Pulp Fiction is the best movie Quentin Tarantino has made. It doesn't feature the best performance in a Tarantino film. It isn't Tarantino's best direction, nor is it the best technically. That's be Jackie Brown, Pam Grier in Jackie Brown, Kill Bill Vol 1 and Kill Bill Vol 1. That's what I think, although many many disagree with me.

However, out of QT's cannon Pulp Fiction has the best poster and there's truly no denying that. I know a lot will probably be surprised it's so low (out of the billions of posters out there, being #27 is no mean feat), but I say "whatever!" to them.

Design house Indika were on quite a role early in their business. Alongside this poster and I Shot Andy Warhol (#100) they did beautiful designs for The Piano, The English Patient, The Man on the Moon, Before Night Falls, "O", American Psycho and they even made terrible horror flicks like Valentine look appatising. See their designs @IMP. Unfortunately they seem to have gone crap these last few years. Shame. I hope to see them reach the top of their game again, and soon.

The poster for Pulp Fiction is quite genius though, isn't it? There's really not much to say about it. I love the scratches, the Uma pose, the 10c icon... I even love the use of "coming soon to a theater near you". I wish more posters did that (for some reason).

No comments: