Thursday, March 13, 2008

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 13/03/08

African Adventure 3D: Safari of the Okavango - IMAX.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - I may have gone to go see this heist flick by legendary director Sidney Lumet if it had opened here during Oscar season when it had buzz. Alas, it is not and this isn't my favourite kind of movie, so I won't be seeing it. Not until DVD, at least.

Death Defying Acts - Gillian Armstrong returns with this Australian/UK co-production about magicians and psychics starring Guy Pearce, Catherine Zeta-Jones and recent Oscar-nominee (and Oscar best dressed) Saiorse Ronan. It also has Timothy Spall. We won't go there.

The Eye - This is a remake of some Japanese horror flick where a woman (Jessica Alba) starts seeing dead people (or whatever) when she gets an eye replacement surgery or somesuch. It's like the remake of House on Haunted Hill when they can see the ghosts through the handicam. Man, that bit scared me when I saw it way back in 1999. Anyway, The Eye also stars Allesandro Nivola and who am I to resist putting an image of him up?


Yes, that'll do.

The Other Boleyn Girl - This movie reminds me of The Black Dahlia. Lots of young pretty people playing dressups. Just, ya know, not as fun!

Vantage Point - I don't know about you, but I'm kind of over the Rashamon effect. Even if it does star Dennis Quaid's abs. Er, I mean, Dennis Quaid. Yes. That's it.

DVD Releases for the Week 13/03/08

30 Days of Night - aka Vampires in Alaska! Not really, but that's the general gist. Nothing about this is particularly enticing, but I may check it out.

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days - Romanian abortion drama that comes very highly praised and was part of an actual legit Oscar scandal.

The Bet - I quite liked this Australian stock exchange drama/thriller. It stars Matthew Newton (robbed of an AFI Best Actor nomination), Aden Young, Roy Billing and AFI Best Supporting Actress nominee Sybilla Budd. You could do worse than checking it out that it's out on DVD.

Blonde and Blonder - No.

Buddha's Lost Children - A documentary about... er... Buddha's lost children, I presume.

Control - My preferred musical biopic from 2007 was this Brit flick about Joy Division force Ian Curtis. Sam Riley and Samantha Morton will surely appear in my upcoming UMA Awards (oh yes, they are coming).

Death Proof + Planet Terror - Released separately, these two flicks by Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez respectively are awesome entertainment. I practically did a geek flip at the end of seeing Death Proof in cinemas even if I was almost alone. I just loved it. And I didn't particularly care for Vanishing Point so it's not because I got a thing for '70s carsploitation flicks. I know a lot of people ragged on Tarantino for his use of dialogue in Death Proof, but I could sit and listen to it all day long. Of course it helps that you end your movie with one of the greatest car chases of all time.

Planet Terror on the other hand is going direct-to-DVD (awww), but I managed to see it through illegal downloading. Hey, don't blame me! I woulda paid to go see it (I still hope to when it screens at The Astor from next week). I also saw the pic to the right over at the Video Ezy site. Rent Death Proof and get Planet Terror free! Which is actually kinda cool, considering most people going into that store would have no idea that they were originally one film.

Delirious - Tom DiCillo movie with Steve Buscemi, Michael Pitt, Alison Lohman and Gina Gershon.

Dr Plonk - Ever the traditional man, Rolf De Heer followed up his AFI (and UMA, don't forget that!) winning directing of Ten Canoes with a black and white silent slapstick comedy using a hand cranked camera from 1907. And it was pretty good too! I was laughing all the way through, although I still haven't managed to get my arse into gear and watch some actual classic silent comedies.

Elizabeth: The Golden Age - Academy Award-winning sequel to the (apparently, who am I to doubt?) better Elizabeth. Cate Blanchett has a hurricane in her that will strip you bare if you dare mock. It's also available in a (wait for it) "Complete Elizabeth Collection". Ummm...

Farce of the Penguins - For whatever reason, this pile of shit (it feels necessary, doesn't it, to call it that?) got a theatrical release down here. What does that say when it even goes direct-to-DVD in America. Yikes.

Poison - Todd Haynes' breakthrough flick from 1991 finally arrives on DVD and as a bonus feature we get Haynes' short Dottie Gets Spanked! Also getting a release is Jacques Demy's technicolour musical The Umbrellas of Cherbough. I can't wait to see both of these titles, which I have been itching to see for a veeery long time. We have to wait until May 28 to see I'm Not There on DVD. Still bummed I didn't get to see that at the cinema. Stupid distributors.

Severance - A horror comedy about a workplace that goes off for a trip to the forest. Or something.

Wet Hot American Summer - So, can y'all believe that this movie from 2001 has never been released here? NEVER! But, well, now it is. Yay. I've heard such good things about it that I can't wait to watch it.

The White Planet - Last year when I went to the AFI member screenings they played this trailer in front of every.single.movie. Ugh! I refused to see it on principal.

8 comments:

Joel said...

Planet Terror is actually renting better than Death Proof in the video store I work at. Must be Rose's gun leg in the cover thats doing it...

And I urge you to check out Severance. It was actually released a few months ago for rent (maybe its only just come out for retail?). Has one of the greatest rocket launcher scenes you'll ever bare witness to.

Kamikaze Camel said...

yeah, i thought i'd seen it in store already, but I was going by EzyDVD's website.

PT is obviously more genre so it doesn't surprise me that it rents better.

JA said...

Loved Severance! Mmm Danny Dyer.

I think you'll love Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Glenn. (sidenote: I can't believe I've seen a musical that you haven't.) Anyway, it's possibly one of my favorite movies period, so the fact that I am able to sidestep my musical-fears that much for it must mean something positive in its favor.

Rural Juror said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rural Juror said...

That's a poster for K-Pax, isn't it? Fuck that crap. Ruining a good shot of Mr. Nivola . . .

Kamikaze Camel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kamikaze Camel said...

If it's any consilation, you can't see Kevin Spacey's face so it has that going for it.

Anonymous said...

Yay! Wet Hot American Summer! It's about time this got a release here. I had the US DVD ages ago, and sold it because I wasn't too keen on it, and since seeing it again on Foxtel, want it back. Was kinda annoying watching it on Foxtel as they removed the gay sex scene, which was awkward but not graphic. But still...