Wednesday, March 5, 2008

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 06/03/08

I missed last week where the new releases were Feast of Love, In the Valley of Elah, The Invasion, Meet the Spartans and We Own the Night.

10,000 BC - Honestly, how awful does this movie look? Answer: A lot! I didn't even know this was being released today (same week as America, aren't we lucky!) because I haven't seen one trailer for it at the cinema and only one ad on television late at night. Roland Emmerich needs to just stop.

The Black Balloon - An Aussie dramedy from newcomer Elissa Down. It follows the life of a teenager (Rhys Wakefield) who has to deal with his autistic brother (Luke Ford) and his burgeoning relationship with an attractive girl (Gemma Ward). Yes, it sounds an awful lot like last year's Clubland, but it's apparently better. We'll see... It also co-stars Toni Collette.

Closing the Ring - I saw a trailer for this Richard Attenborough flick in front of The Diving Bell and the Butterfly and people LAUGHED! That's not a good sign, even if your movie does star (quite strangely, no?) Mischa Barton.

In the Shadow of the Moon - Hey, another documentary about the moon landing! Haven't seen that before! Okay, that's probably too harsh considering the amount of praise David Sington's movie is receiving, but... I dunno. The moon doesn't excite me. Unlike SATURN! Saturn was always my favourite planet.

A Journey of Dmitri Shostakovich - A documentary about a Russian composer.

Mr Woodcock - Wait, Billy Bob Thornton is still doing this same ol' schtick? Yikes.

Paranoid Park - Gus Van Sant's last art experiment before diving headstrong into Hollywood Oscar Biopic territory with Milk. I am looking forward to it and can't wait to get up to Melbourne to see it.

Run Fat Boy Fun - Look, I don't have anything against David Schwimmer and I love Simon Pegg and I like Thandie Newton more than most, but WOW. This looks, yet again, awful. I hate that they keep using that revolting blister joke in ever ad and I hate how they don't explain how Pegg running the marathon has anything to do with anything else. He dumped his fiance on their wedding day, okay. "Let's run a marathon!" ...?

Sleuth - Aww, I actually feel kind of sad for everyone involved here.

DVD Releases for the Week 06/03/08

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - I liked this movie - loved Casey Affleck - but I hardly think it's the masterpiece others seem to think it is. However, it's one of those films that I am glad I saw theatrically. I'm still waiting for Days of Heaven to get a rerelease or something so I can see it on the big screen.

Fido - Something about a pet zombie.

Futurama: Bender's Big Score - omgomgomgomg the end.

Good Luck Chuck - For all those people who missed it in cinemas.

Jackass 2.5 - Why wouldn't people just watch Funniest Home Videos? At least that's free!

The Jammed - This is a great little Australian thriller that became the most talked about film on the arthouse circuit last year. It was ineligible for the AFI Awards but won three IF Awards including Best Film. It stars Veronica Sywak, Emma Lung, Saskia Burmeister and even Sun Park from Hi-5! You could do worse than picking up this movie at the video store, although it's not for anyone who's looking for a bunch of laughts. It's about the Australian illegal sex trade.

Joshua: The Devil's Child - I got nothin'.

Sex and Death 101 - Going direct-to-DVD down here just over a month after it's American cinema release. Awww, poor Bridgit Fonda Winona Ryder.

The Ten Commandments - Thou Shall Not Make Bad Movies, incase you were unaware, was the long-forgotten eleventh commandment. It, unfortunately, did not fit onto the stone.


Joel said...

Joshua (now with pointless subtitle The Devils Child) is actually great! Was at MIFF and has nothing to do with a devil child, just a very disturbed and creepy kid who ruins his parents lives.
Check it out!

FranklinBluth said...

David Attenborough flick!?! The nature guy? Maybe you mean Richard?

Kamikaze Camel said...

Oops. Edited. Thanks for the tipoff.

Paul Martin said...

The Black Balloon came highly recommended, is a touch above the others, but I'm tired of the genre.

Paranoid Park is my favourite film of 2008 so far. I've seen it twice, and it just keeps getting better. It's not a film for the masses, though. If you liked Van Sant's recent films (Gerry, Elephant and Last Days), you'll like this one. I completely agree with what Jake Wilson has to say in the Age (I have a short review coming out in the next issue of The Big Issue #299).

Meanwhile, the French Film Festival starts today, and there's a dozen films that look worth seeing. I've collated a list of recommendations on my blog, if you're interested.

Kamikaze Camel said...

I'll definitely pop over and check it out.

I loved Elephant and have strong respect for Gerry and Last Days.