Saturday, March 8, 2008

100 Greatest Movie Posters: #42 - Mona Lisa

#42
Mona Lisa (1986)
Directed by Neil Jordan
Poster Designed by Zdenek Vlach
Film Nationality - UK
Poster Nationality - Czech



[click to enlarge]

Many posters have reinterpreted famous artworks for most poster designs - there's one very famous example coming up very soon in the countdown - but this is definitely one of my favourites. The simply stunning use of colour is what first attracted me before I even noticed that it is a graffiti-styled reworking of the Mona Lisa painting. That's why it's so good. It works it's design in an interesting way (you hear me Da Vinci Code?) and introduces elements of the film into it. And it actually looks like real graffiti art, unlike some posters, which just look like photoshopped versions of the aesthetic.

And then compare to the more common design. Boring, right? I'm not entirely sure why but I seem to be very fond of the poster's wide angles of the hat (or whatever that large expanse of black is). I adore the shadowing on the face and I have no idea what's going in between the design of the title, but I like it too. It really is the sort of poster that I would want hanging on my walls and I haven't even seen the movie, which is a glowing recommendation if ever there was one.

No comments: