Tuesday, March 11, 2008

100 Greatest Movie Posters: #41 - Czar of Broadway

Czar of Broadway (1930)
Directed by William James Craft
Unknown Designer
Film Nationality - USA
Poster Nationality - Sweden (?)

[click to enlarge]

This film by William James Craft doesn't even have five user ratings on IMDb to qualify it with a score, which would signify that it is quite an inconsequential film. To further prove how "lost" Czar of Broadway appears to be, I can't even find the website where I located the poster! And it doesn't seem to even exist on any of the sites I frequent. Still, all this doesn't stop me from loving this poster, which I think comes from - of all places - Sweden. I'm not sure what the language is being used, but it does say "Stockholm" down the bottom, so... anybody...?

Doesn't it just feel epic? I can see it being redone today and people slobbering over it over like fools. One of the quintessential images of New York City - Broadway - and superimposing the image of a powerful figure over the top of it. Actually, I'm sure we have seen that since. Many times. Haven't we? Whether we have or we haven't, this is the original and the best. I just kind of wish that this movie hadn't been all but erased from the history books so I could know more about it.

Actually, now that I think about it, isn't this sort of a precurser to the maligned "floating head" syndrome. Granted, there isn't an actual face being used, but a location shot and a person over it or above it is about as common as white bread these days and has been for lord knows how long. I just thought that was interesting.

1 comment:

Trey said...

That's so the poster that will be used if The Power Broker ever gets movie-ized.