Thursday, February 21, 2008

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 21/02/08

August Rush - I love the print ads for this which just splash "NOMINATED FOR AN ACADEMY AWARD" onto the poster. There's no mention of it on the TV commercials though, which have been surprisingly frequent. If someone has seen this movie then can they explain why Freddie Highmore seems to be commanding the wind in a field of grass? It's very perplexing.

Bella - This film - very reminiscent of Before Sunrise/Sunset in an obvious way - was one of my favourites of MIFF last year, but my enthusiasm has resided somewhat.

The Bucket List - There is no way humanly possible that I am going to sit through this movie. No way. I'm glad it's finally being released though, because it means I will no longer have to sit through that torturous trailer anymore. I swear, they played that claptrap before every single movie I have seen over the last two months.

Margot at the Wedding - Nicole Kidman and Jennifer Jason Leigh = more than enough to get me into the cinema. So much so that I'm seeing it tomorrow!

Martial Child - I've never quite "gotten" John Cusack (I wholeheartedly "get" Joan Cusack, however) and then he goes and makes a movie like this and I feel totally justified.

Rambo - On the plus side, it's rated R18+ (hell yeah!), on the negative side... it's a freakin' Rambo movie! I like First Blood well enough, but geeeez, Sly is really desperate, isn't he? Why doesn't he try acting again? He did it (well!) in Cop Land ten years ago, yet he just seemed to forget all about that, didn't he?

Talk to Me - Don Chealde, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Taraji Henson star in this biopic of radio DJ Ralph Waldo Greene. Never heard of the man, but the movie is apparently very good. Probably more of a DVD movie for me though.

DVD Releases for the Week 21/02/08

Boynton Beach Club - Going under the much more lively name The Boynton Beach Bereavement Club overseas, this romantic comedy (psst, for the "oldies") is apparently very awful. Skip.

The Brave One - Jodie Foster goes kick-arse all over New York City, reaping vengeance where she may. There's also some political overtones of some variety. :p I totally meant to see this theatrically, but it just kind of slipped away. < < Jodie totally threatened to kill me if I didn't catch it on DVD right away!

December Boys - This Aussie flop (both here and overseas) stars Harry Potter Daniel Radcliffe as an orphan trying to be adopted by a nice sea-side residing family. Aww? It also features "Next Big Thing!" Teresa Palmer, Christian Byers, Jack Thompson and Victoria Hill.

Underdog - I... don't... know...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do know that the infamous huge white space poster isn't the final one for Margot, right?

Kamikaze Camel said...

er, then what is?

Kamikaze Camel said...

PS I love the use of the word "infamous".

Anonymous said...

This is. Only slightly less white space. And credits! Ooh!

And thank you. :)

Kamikaze Camel said...

it's still annoying.