Tuesday, February 26, 2008

One-Year In Advance Oscar Predictions

--COMPLETED! I, for the record, changed out Kate Beckinsale for Sally Hawkins. I just feel that in a year of so many big stars (Streep, Kidman, Winslet plus Moore, Knightley and such) in contention, there is no way the media will not jump on some newcomer and Hawkins was the only one on my radar.--


Because I'm nothing if not a masochist. I'm shaking my own head at the ridiculousness of it all, trust me.

The Lovely Bones is officially 2009, The Road (which I think will give John Hillcoat a Best Director nod when it's released) will also be 2009, but not entirely sure. I don't think there's room for both Frost/Nixon and Doubt (I'm going with Doubt), Normally I would have gone with The Reader, but can Stephen Daldry (Billy Elliot and The Hours) get a third-straight best director nom (and it doesn't feel like a best pic/no best director film)?

I am certain I'll get 1/5 for each category MAX, but that's part of the fun, isn't it? Being proven so entirely wrong!

BEST PICTURE
Australia
Doubt
Milk
Miracle at St Anna
Revolutionary Road

BEST DIRECTOR
Spike Lee, Miracle at St Anna
Baz Luhrmann, Australia
Gus Van Sant, Milk
John Patrick Shanley, Doubt
Stephen Soderbergh, The Argentine

BEST ACTOR
Benicio Del Toro, The Argentine
Leonardo DiCaprio, Body of Lies
Jamie Foxx, The Soloist
Frank Langella, Frost/Nixon
Sean Penn, Milk

BEST ACTRESS
Anne Hathaway, Dancing with Shiva
Sally Hawkins, Happy-Go-Lucky
Nicole Kidman, Australia
Meryl Streep, Doubt
Kate Winslet, Revolutionary Road

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Jamie Bell, Defiance
Josh Brolin, Milk
James Gandolfini, Miracle at St Anna
Jeremy Irons, Appaloosa
Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Patricia Clarkson, Elegy
Viola Davis, Doubt
Catherine Keener, The Soloist
Samantha Morton, Synecdoche, NY
Kate Winslet, The Reader

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Woody Allen, Vicki Christina Barcelona
Dustin Lance Black, Milk
Charlie Kaufman, Synecdoche, NY
Mike Leigh, Happy-Go-Lucky
Jenny Lumet, Dancing with Shiva

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
James McBride, Miracle at St Anna
David Hare, The Reader
Justin Haythe, Revolutionary Road
Eric Roth, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
John Patrick Shanley, Doubt

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Australia
Burn After Reading
Defiance
Milk
Revolutionary Road

BEST ART DIRECTION
Australia
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Red Cliff
Synecdoche, NY
Valkryie

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Doubt
The Reader
Revolutionary Road
Valkryie

BEST EDITING
The Argentine
Australia
The Dark Knight
Doubt
Miracle at St Anna

BEST MAKE-UP
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Dark Knight
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Australia
Defiance
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
The Soloist
Wall-E

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
I'm not bothering, because it's impossible.

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
The Chronicals of Narnia: Prince Caspian
Iron Man
Speed Racer

BEST SOUND MIXING
The Dark Knight
Defiance
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Valkyrie
Wall-E

BEST SOUND EDITING
Australia
Defiance
Miracle at St Anna
Speed Racer
Wall-E

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
9
Ponyo on the Cliff
Wall-E

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Brazil
France
Italy
Japan
Romania

9 comments:

Dame James Henry said...

I know it must be killing you to put down Jamie Foxx as a potential nominee

Joe Reid said...

I was thinking about Miracle at St. Anna, too. The fact that it's Disney is what's giving me pause, though.

Kamikaze Camel said...

I just felt like there'll be a very big industry move to finally get Spike Lee a Best Director nomination (he was inexplicably only nominated for the screenplay of Do the Right Thing).

James, yes it does. So much so that I couldn't put down both Foxx and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. It was just too nauseating.

Catherine said...

This is nothing to do with this post (you're a brave man!) but have you heard "Night Ripper" by Girl Talk? It's a golden album for pop-lovers.

DL said...

I really hope Milk gets nominated for all the big categories. You never know, maybe the Academy will want to "make it up to the gays" for Brokeback and actually give it Best Picture. (Plus, Gus Van Sant has needed some mainstream love for a while now.)

Anonymous said...

i think you forget about "Blindness", I have a lot of hope about this film and I think Julianne Moore finally has her Oscar and Gael garcia Bernal his nomination

Kamikaze Camel said...

Anon, not having read the book that Blindness is based on I don't have an immediate sense of what's it's going to be like as a whole film, but the bits I've read (like Meirelles' diaries) don't scream "OSCAR" to be (rooms of shit and whatnot). But, for what it's worth, I had Moore (who also has Savage Grace this year), Danny Glover and the screenplay just outside their respective categories.

Catherine, I'll get right on it.

Ishmael said...

Dancing with Shiva? Really?

Kamikaze Camel said...

Do you know something? I just think there is no way that all five nominees for best actress will be past nominees/winners. I read one site predicting Blanchett, Kidman, Moore, Streep and Winslet. No way in hell is that lineup ever going to happen and if it does I will make like Werner Herzog and eat a shoe (but not really, I just don't think it'll happen).

And Hathaway's been on the tip for a while now. Plus they're, as we saw this year, not adverse to female comedy writers in the screenplay categories.